Open days

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Kismet

Re: Open days

Post by Kismet »

I noticed on HSFG website that they suggest open morning for year 5 and open evening for year 6. I can't make the morning with my year 5 so will go in the evening. With DS (now year 7)I saw only Pates and local comp early in year 5 thinking it would be ok just to see a sample. I was wrong. I wished I'd seen the other two local boys grammars earlier as the end of the summer term is very busy and early year 6 was too late to properly help with decision making.
steppemum

Post by steppemum »

Marling's evening is mon 19th. Ds is helping!

The first time we visited I really hadn't decided about grammar and was just looking. I watched ds in the computer room. There was a logic puzzle up on the whiteboard and a whole stack of boys standing round who couldn't do it. Ds saw the solution straight away. The year 9 boy in charge of it said he was the first one all evening. It made me realise that we did actually need to take the idea of grammar seriously.
For that alone I am extremely grateful that we went. Ds actually only just got in, (we didn't tutor) but is now flying, and happy.
MedievalBabe

Post by MedievalBabe »

Kismet, we went to the evenings with DD when she was in Y5 as we couldn't make the morning visits. DD is now helping out on the 20th in he evening and is quite excited about it. I think it is helpful to visit at this point so your DD can get an idea of what is out there and hopefully give them something to aim for even if it is nearly a year until the exam. At least if they are keen then it will be easier if you are doing any work with them.
Iona

Post by Iona »

We went with DD in year 5, during the day, to see the school in action. It really focused here, that she wanted to go to that particular school.
We went again in year 6 as well, just for another look and it re-affirmed her desire to go there. Even if you do just go in the evening, there will be plenty of students to show you around and chat to you about the schools. :D
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now