Help on Ranking for Ribston

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
cazien

Re: Help on Ranking for Ribston

Post by cazien »

boris wrote:Where has the ranking info on the letters come from for previous years then? My letters both had three years worth of ranking history on them. Should I ignore this? Seems a bit unfair to bolster parents' hopes with the information if its irrelevant?
For many years Gloucestershire used GL Assessments for the exam. They informed you of your DCs score. Each school had their own "score" for a pass mark. As every school would hold a list in score order, I can only presume they are using those list to convert scores into ranks, now they have changed to CEM testing.
mcfly

Post by mcfly »

cazien wrote:I think 459 is a typo from Ribston - probably should be 359? Looking at postings on here, Ribston went to 379.
Hmm. I spoke to the RH admissions officer yesterday and she did not say it was a typo even when I asked why she thought this spike happened. I didnt get a good explanation from her except that the schools are not able to see other schools scores and rankings so she appeared to be a little bit unsure too. I also read on other posts somewhere that the March 2015 allocation was a different process to previous years - so that might explain the bug jump?

She did say that RH have offered upto ranking 500 for the 2016 entry based on the increased PANs. Anyway, here's hoping that it was 459 was right and this year that all those with rankings get a place.
authormum

Post by authormum »

Sounds like useful feedback from RH. Fingers crossed for you.

As far as I understand it, 792/970 girls shared their results with RH. Since there are Around 480 places and schools can expect some attrition through people moving, those who with go independent of comprehensive etc, it seems to make sense to go up to 500 to ensure that all the spots available across the grammars are filled. It would be a shame to be more conservative and end up with a lot of vacancies (although I guess they'd be snapped up in retests and appeals).

Obviously Pates only go up to 200, presumably that's worked out on the majority of people applying there being serious and putting it as #1 choice, whereas the other three go higher as there is more ambivalence/risk spreading?
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now