Help for Ribston and Stroud High

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
RedVelvet

Help for Ribston and Stroud High

Post by RedVelvet »

Hello

We are in the fortunate position in that DD has a qualifying score for both, so now we need to make a decision.

I'd be really interested to hear about pastoral care in both schools. I know both will say they take good care of the girls but what I'm more interested in is how the schools deal with things when it's not all going to plan. Teenage girls can be a tricky bunch And I'd particularly interested in how schools have dealt with relational/excluding type problems with groups of girls. I'd be grateful if you have any insights, particularly in recent years. Please message me if you'd prefer.

If I'm honest, my boys are currently at Tommies and what I'm looking for is a similar ethos for girls.

Thanks.
DC17C

Re: Help for Ribston and Stroud High

Post by DC17C »

i've sent you a pm
wj74

Post by wj74 »

I'm in a similar position and would be really grateful for any info on the pastoral side of SHS. My DD would be travelling a long way and won't know anyone. We do have a good local comp but she's come within the 150 PAN for SHS. I'd like to know what it's really like if anyone can help.
mar_sea

Post by mar_sea »

Last year we were in the same situation and It was a difficult decision to make. Eventually, we chose SHS and can honestly say "Our dd absolutely loves it". She was the only one from her primary to be given a place and also didn't know any other girls attending the school. As she later discovered there were many other girls in exactly the same position. The school has a fantastic system in place for the girls to meet each other. Firstly, the SHS buddy chat (School web site) for the girls to introduce themselves to each other and generally have a good natter. They also have a peer mentoring system, where a year 8 girl looks after and reassures your dd. Obviously, the taster day where the girls sample the school. Also, the first day of school is just for year sevens providing them with the chance to get their bearings without the school being too busy. Finally, the support structure for the girls is excellent.
What about the parents? They have several evenings for parents to visit, which are very informative and impressive. The school is passionate about their girls and this we found most reassuring.
Congratulations to all.
RedVelvet

Post by RedVelvet »

Thanks mar_sea and for the PMs sent too. We'll go and have a look at both this week.
mcfly

Post by mcfly »

Eldest DD was in the same situation 3 years ago with RH, SHS and HSFG. We chose SHS in the end because of the atmosphere and she really liked what she saw. We haven't regretted that and she absolutely loves it. The teachers really are caring and the other kids and parents do all seem to get along. Good luck whatever you decide.
wj74

Post by wj74 »

Thanks so much for the advice. It's good to know others have such positive things to say.

We'll go and visit this week and make a final decision! :D
imustbecrazy

Post by imustbecrazy »

I have daughters in both schools -yr 11 and yr8! Both very different and suit wach child, DD1 loves maths and science and suits SHS, DD2 more creative, loves writing and though just starting really suits RHS.
I do however, get a more warm welcoming feeling from RHS, however, the girls at SHS always seem friendly and happy. DD1 has fantastic friends and it really brought her out of her shell (she was painfully shy). DD2 just staring and so far so good. they really have made her feel welcome.
I guess it depends on your daughter and also is it worth travelling.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now