Liftshare or Taxi experiences? Chelts to Crypts or Marling

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
cob

Liftshare or Taxi experiences? Chelts to Crypts or Marling

Post by cob »

Hi all,

We have been offered a space at Crypts and Marling. We like both schools, but I worry about the distance as we live in Cheltenham. As I understand it the school bus to Crypts leave already at 7.30.
I was wondering, first of all, what does an annual or termly buspass cost?
Also, does anyone have any experience of liftsharing or even taxishare? And if so, how did it work?

Many thanks in advance for any help!
MedievalBabe

Re: Liftshare or Taxi experiences? Chelts to Crypts or Marli

Post by MedievalBabe »

I don't know much about lift share/taxi share to Crypt but I do know that there are plenty of boys who catch the bus on a daily basis from Cheltenham, I pass them everyday at several bus stops. I also know that my own dcs say there are also plenty on the 94 bus who manage the journey on the public bus instead of the school bus.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

Not in your area (although my mum was from Painswick and I went to school there for a while in about year 1 :) ), but I would put in a word for using public transport if it is available, rather than a privately-run school service. Public buses (or the train if you are anywhere near the station at your end and are considering Marling?) are usually cheaper and definitely more flexible; if you miss one, you may arrive late at school, but at least there will be another one along sooner or later, unlike 'Fred's Minicoaches'. I know that people tend to worry about their 'babies' mingling with all those scary bus passengers, but as a regular bus user, I can assure you that most folk are just on the bus to get from A to B and would never do anyone any harm. In fact, particularly if a child is travelling on their own, other passengers can be very helpful and protective. I always tell our DC to respond (politely!) if another passenger speaks to them - a lot of people travel at the same time every day and it's natural to pass the time of day with those you see regularly. Also, it's always useful to have someone familiar to turn to if they do have a problem :) .
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
qip001

Post by qip001 »

My son is on the public bus from Cheltenham to Marling. It costs £20 a week for a weekly rider ( from Bath road), easy direct ride and he gets home a few minutes after my daughter who is at Pates. He has been on it for 2 years now and it works for us. There other children from SHS and Marling on it as well. Hope this helps.
Amber

Post by Amber »

qip001 wrote:My son is on the public bus from Cheltenham to Marling...He has been on it for 2 years now...
That sounds like quite a long journey. :wink:
Kismet

Post by Kismet »

We had a fair few boys go from our primary in Cheltenham (bournside catchment) to crypt last year. They do the Bennetts bus journey and all seem happy with their choice.
cob

Post by cob »

Thanks all.

Yes, I'm sure the bus - school or public transport - is absolutely fine. I have friends whose older children do the journey daily so know its completely fine.
However, it would be great not to have to leave home 1 hour and 35 minutes before school start in the morning - just exploring alternative options - so, I was more interested in hearing if anyone had any experience of liftshare or taxishare?

Many thanks
Stressed?Moi?

Post by Stressed?Moi? »

Not sure what part of town you are, but the school bus (I recommend Bennetts over Express) leaves Arle Court at 7.45 arriving I believe at 8.25 so actually not too bad. A bit of distance is, unfortunately, for most of us the price you pay for a grammar school. It doesn't take long at all to get into the swing. A lot of boys enjoy the banter of a school bus as well. As I see it, the limitations of lift share are: if the boys fall out it can be a loooooong journey twice per day; after-school clubs can be an issue if one does a club and the other/rest don't; petrol/time car maintenance of driving the journey 4 times per day, 5 days per week, it may get a bit complicated if a child is off sick and the "off duty" parent still has to do the journey, a bus pass is handy for weekends as it affords more independence. Not sure about taxi but I think that also has some of the complications of the above, but I'm sure others will be able to help. The school bus if I recall costs about £1150 from Arle Court per year, but will obviously be more expensive from further away.
CKMum

Post by CKMum »

Our DD did the bus for her first year, but this year, we have opted for carpooling as the bus prices were hiked up, the route was changed (an extra 40 mins travel per day!) and as they changed the system, we would be paying for trips that she wouldn't use if staying on after school, which she does quite often. As we made friends with other parents and worked out who lived near who - we are carpooling this year with 2 other families and on average do 3 or 4 trips per family each week. This has worked well for us, but we could only manage this after being at school for a year and knowing which other kids lived near us and whose parents have the flexibility to help with the school runs. The afternoon ones can be more problematic for working parents because of the time, but if you can work it out, I would recommend it! Also, our DD is often home by 4pm, when it was 4.30pm on average last year - so win win!

The kids don't talk a lot in the car - so the radio fills in with the awkward silences :lol:
cazien

Post by cazien »

Stressed?Moi? wrote: (I recommend Bennetts over Express)
Just for info - Express no longer operates the Crypt/Ribston bus - it is run by John Dix travel now.
Crypt used to offer information sheets on the bus services to school during the "welcome to Crypt" info evening, I expect all schools do. Contact the schools involved for info if you would like details.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now