rank for Crypt

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Post by Guest »

I don't think you are correct about 2nd round allocations in previous years. When my son did the test a couple of years ago there were only a few schools that insisted on being "1st pref", all the others were "equal ranking". So my son sat for Marling, Tommies and Crypt, passed for all 3 and was offered Marling as his 1st pref, but if he had failed for Marling Tommies would have become his 1st choice (and he would have been considered for a place on an equal footing with all those who had put Tommies 1st), if he had failed Tommies Crypt would have become 1st choice etc. Basically the same as the system this year, except this year if a parent puts a grammar 1st and the comp 2nd they can't be penalised.
gloucestermum

Post by gloucestermum »

If the above is correct then fab! I just was under the impression that if school was put as 1st choice then places would be allocated before a child who had put it 2nd.
Confused... me??

Post by Guest »

Gloucestermum As the 'first preference first' thing has been axed you SHOULD get the school for which you have qualified, ie Crypt, as your son has passed the test and got the qualifying score. I suppose the problem is if too many have passed the test for the available places, then there will be a waiting list, and then when all of those who have passed the test (and who also registered at Crypt) but have taken up places at Pates, Tommies etc, it will probably all pan out and your son will get place! This is probably what the headmaster was saying at the Open Eve, but this year there were more taking the test but equally there are probably more who didn't reach the required standard......
gloucestermum

Post by gloucestermum »

I shall live in hope!!!

Post by Guest »

Hi - I'm the guest who posted above - look in the secondary school transfer booklet, it has all the rules about 1st pref in there on page 12 "what happens to applications".

Post by Guest »

PS I think the confusion here is between first choice schools (ie those insisting you put them at the top of the list) which has been axed, and 1st preference, ie the school you most want to go to. Any school on your list will automatically become your 1st choice if you don't qualify for the school above it.

Post by Guest »

Burneth wrote:AJ1

Yes, you are making perfect sense, although in previous years would parents really have risked putting their local comp 3rd or 4th in preferences? Also I think many more children sat the test this year as they hadn't nothing to lose and the results were given and so on that basis there are probably more children who passed (hence the reason the Crypt threshold score was put up.