Crypt 2018

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
cazien

Crypt 2018

Post by cazien »

Crypt have announced they are proposing to become a co-ed school in 2018, increasing PAN to 150. Thoughts???
ToadMum

Re: Crypt 2018

Post by ToadMum »

Presumably this means that you will at least in theory be better off for girls' places than boys', unless there are currently markedly fewer places for girls? Does Pate's generally have a balanced intake, gender-wise?
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
scaredycat

Post by scaredycat »

It would mean less single sex places for boys especially with Barnwood Park as an all girls non selective school. Not sure that this is a good idea personally, my DC is currently year 11 so won't be affected but he doesn't seem impressed.
DC17C

Post by DC17C »

It is an interesting idea - there is evidence that boys tend to to better in mixed schools but then girls do better in single sex so something of a paradox. I'd be interested in what the motivation is....the letter that there needs to be more choice for co-ed grammar places...... that does rather reduce the choice for those wanting single sex schools. My DC will both be in sixth form by that time so again not really affected.
MedievalBabe

Post by MedievalBabe »

One of my work collegues had been told that by the head. She was concerned as it's the year her DS is due to start secondary and it means a possible reduction in places for boys and an increase for girls across the county. Then she wondered if it was more of a merger.
scaredycat

Post by scaredycat »

Speaking to a Ribston Mum this morning and she was concerned at the impact it might have on the girls' grammars. Surely some kind of "satellite" school (for girls only) might be a better proposal. I have one DC at Crypt and one at HSFG and will be interested to see how the girls' schools react. HSFG have just increased their intake so watch and wait!
cazien

Post by cazien »

ToadMum - I have always believed Pates are normally top-heavy boys, it will be interesting to hear if this is still the scenario this year with their increase in PAN.

MedievalBabe - This has not been described as a merger in the Heads letter. The Governors have instigated the proposal based on their decisions that "educational developments will result in significant changes to the school system in general, and to the school system in Gloucestershire in particular over the next few years" and to offer the choice of a co-ed Grammar to parents in the City of Gloucester who currently have to opt for a Cheltenham school for their children.

I don't know if this will impact on the girls Grammar schools - it will give girls more places and a choice of co-ed, but it should decrease the number of places for boys and force a co-ed on them.

Like scaredy-cat and DC17C, my DSs are in Y10 so will not impact on them and DD will start secondary this year, so their decision will have no impact on her (unless if she gets a place at Ribston and they decide to become co-ed in the near future!).
scaredycat

Post by scaredycat »

I do wonder if Crypt are trying to stay one step ahead of everyone else and whether this is just a case of just testing the water to see what reaction they get. Our experience of Crypt has been brilliant and it makes me feel a bit sad to think that some boys might be denied the opportunities my DC has had because of this proposed change.
DC17C

Post by DC17C »

Maybe all the schools are going to have to look at the options:

http://www.gloucestercitizen.co.uk/Brav ... story.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My DD certainly would like the option to wear trousers all year round.
DC17C

Post by DC17C »

Duplicate post