Taking the Eleven Plus Exam abroad

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
solar_mum

Re: Taking the Eleven Plus Exam abroad

Post by solar_mum »

hermanmunster wrote:I think the issue over Vocab is that all Anglophone countries use English Vocab but that is not actually the same as British English - there are some families who have moved from the USA and have been aware of the differences and the need to be familiar with the the local lingo (the old "two nations divided by a common language"

To some extent it depends how long you have been away from the UK, what the kids read and whether the kids have been to school here at some point
I understand. We do use British English in South Africa and the boys have spent the majority of their lives in the UK.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

solar_mum wrote:
I understand. We do use British English in South Africa and the boys have spent the majority of their lives in the UK.

that's good - I am sure it is length of time in the UK makes a difference
Lizzie

Post by Lizzie »

I agree with everyone that the best thing to do is to contact all the schools you are interested in direct to ask if they will allow your child to sit the exam abroad. These things do seem to change all the time so you want to get the current policy but in case it is of any help below is our experience.

Our daughter was allowed to sit the Lincolnshire 11+ in the USA in September of last year (2015). The school required direct contact with the Principal of her school over here so that they could be sure that the exam would go direct to the Principal and be correctly monitored etc. We had to pay for it to be sent by their choice of courier (it wasn't very expensive) and then we paid to have the sealed papers airmailed back to them to be marked.

Lincolnshire does two 11+ papers and they are given on two consecutive Saturdays. The school was not allowed to send them to us prior to the date of them being taken in the UK but sent them straight after.

We were advised to mark on the application that our daughter uses and has been taught in American English. It didn't cause her any problems but the idea is that if a child only misses out on a "pass" by a point or two then it might be that there was a question on the paper that was confusing for a child who is used to only American English not British English and so that might be a basis for an appeal. (eg things like lorry instead of truck etc.)

They marked her papers within a few days of receiving them and she passed :)

We have not been able to relocate back to the UK yet (long story) and Lincs won't allow you to apply for a school place without a UK address so we will have to do an appeal anyway if we end up in Lincolnshire :(

However just to make things really complicated we may end up being in Gloucestershire instead of Lincolnshire and the two counties use different types of 11+ exams - just our luck!

So, knowing this, we contacted the Glos Local Authority and they said that they will take a school application with an overseas address but you would only be offered a place at a Grammar school (assuming the child passed their 11+) as the Grammars offer places based only on your 11+ result not where you live, whereas the comprehensives, if over subscribed, offer based on proximity to the school.

We then contacted two Glos. Grammar schools and both said that the test can only be taken at one of the Glos. Grammar schools, the paper will not be sent overseas. That isn't to say that another of the GS might let it be sent overseas or even that the policy changes for next year so you might as want to email/phone them all just in case.

Good luck with everything, I know being out of the country adds another layer of stress to an already stressful time.
Tourist

Post by Tourist »

that's good - I am sure it is length of time in the UK makes a difference

Not sure why length of time in the UK counts? :wink: Other countries do actually teach UK English (!) and maths to comparable (or dare I say even higher) standards than here. I'd say wide reading (do-able anywhere) and innate ability will be the most important factors for your DC Solar_Mum. Good luck!!!
authormum

Post by authormum »

Please don't panic over vocab. My DD grew up in French schools, but spoke English at home with us. She did fine. I honestly don't think a child with good English will suffer because of spelling or dialect issues.
Matrix

Post by Matrix »

My relative took the 11+ for Stroud High abroad a couple of years ago.
steppemum

Post by steppemum »

my brother was living overseas few years ago, around the time his daughter would have taken the 11+. They were told by Glos that they could take it abroad.

In the end they returned in time for her to take it here. But it was possible 4 years ago.
steppemum

Post by steppemum »

I don't think actually that living in the UK helps with vocab.
I think reading 'old fashioned' books does that. The vocab in all the 11+ preparation materials seems to me to be very traditional.
solar_mum

Post by solar_mum »

Thanks for your input, comments and thoughts everyone. Unfortunately the school we are looking at has confirmed that they no longer allow papers to be written abroad as of this year. All the best to all of you with children who will be writing in September.
The Drudge

Post by The Drudge »

Gloucestershire stopped sending papers abroad a couple of years ago as we had to fly our DD back to the UK to sit the exam. Definitely worth it as she got a place. Catchment does still count if your child has the same mark as another child. Fortunately our daughter didn't so catchment was not an issue.