Numbers sitting the CEM test in March

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Munster

Re: Numbers sitting the CEM test in March

Post by Munster »

There are a lot of children relocating to the county. Gloucestershire is a lovely county though. I wonder how many there were at SHS. I understand there were 20+ at Ribston Hall
Lizzie

Post by Lizzie »

Lizzie wrote:I don't know what the average total number is for the March late test but I heard that there will be 22 sitting it at Pate's this year. Can't vouch for the accuracy but that was what I heard.
To follow up on my post above, my dd sat at Pate's and it didn't seem to be as many as 22 children. DD said she thought there was about 12 of them.
theseneschal

Post by theseneschal »

I'm curious to know how standardisation would work for those sitting the exam in March with more than 6 months maturation after the original Sept 2016 intake took the 11+.

Sorry if this sounds cynical, (this is devils advocate as my children have already done the test) but is this a possible tactic for parents to get children into a grammar in future years?

For example if a parent had a slightly immature but bright child would it be possible to "miss" the exam registration and apply for late sitting knowing that they have another 6 months preparation.

OK so you wouldn't get a place in March first time round, but would a future 11+ parent gamble that after reconsideration their child would get such improved results with that extra 6 months prep that they'd be next on the waiting list for reconsideration and then get a place in April?

I do realise there are lots of reasons why there are late applications and that's not what I'm discussing, but it's been discussed on this forum how "dedicated" parents can be in getting a place at a grammar?

I'm just really curious to know thoughts (please know there is no hidden agenda, just curiosity. I hadn't realised there was a late exam until recently)
Amber

Post by Amber »

As I understand it virtually no one gets in under 'reconsideration' in Gloucestershire. Do we even have such a thing?

You'd have to be a pretty obsessed parent to go to such lengths wouldn't you? I genuinely don't think there are that many people who really care that much about grammar schools here - the ones that do are mostly concentrated in a very small number of primaries and wouldn't be resorting to this kind of tactic as the schools in question will ensure the kids are prepared to the hilt.
theseneschal

Post by theseneschal »

I know! :-) I don't want to bring the wrath of the 11+ Gods on me, but I'd still like to know more 'cos it's so competitive out there

This year offers go out at beginning of March. People confirm or reject. It sees there's a big consultation of the local authority and then at the beginning of April offers go out again for those places not taken up?

I've heard that there are lots of reasons that a pardnt/child might not take up their original offer - house moves, prefer local school with no travel, scharshinto private school.

Then before offers go out for a second time the late applicants take the 11+. And then get put into the mix.

I agree - you would have to be a pretty obsessed parent!?!

If in the original exam date of birth is taken in to consideration, is this done in the reverse 6 months later?
Lizzie

Post by Lizzie »

thesenechal,

As I understand it the child's age does get factored into the result in exactly the same way that it does at the earlier exam, so I do not think there is any advantage to be had. If you sit the exam late then you are older and your mark is impacted by that, just as it should be.

I think to deliberately sit the exam late in order to gain the advantage of being older at that time would be a huge risk because you'd be trying for so many less available places and would effectively have to get a higher ranking than many children who have already accepted their places.

Trust me taking the late test is a planning nightmare anyone would be mad to choose to sign up for!
theseneschal

Post by theseneschal »

Hi Lizzie, I agree, it wouldn't be most people's choice to do it this way and as I said in the earlier post there are loads of reasons why people find themselves doing it this way around.
I agree with you too, it would be a huge risk , it's been mentioned in this forum how competitive it is amongst some groups of parents I just wondered if this would be an option for a very small minority by choice, as a gamble. It wouldn't be my first choice either
:-)
ash14

Post by ash14 »

We sat the late test but due to missing the first date but I know a parent who did delay it to prep their child more! We are now waiting for reconsideration but I wish we had sat the earlier one had we known! :(
theseneschal

Post by theseneschal »

Really! How did they manage that? Did they have a reason? And more interestingly - did they pass!

Good luck with reconsideration :-)
ash14

Post by ash14 »

Hi thank you I have I idea how the ranking etc works so just fingers crossed but been told it's very unlikely
With regards to the the other parent in not sure it was a general conversation as to why we were sitting the late test and I explained that I didn't know about it until to late and I had been looking at Berkshire schools and he mentioned his son wasn't ready in September so decided he would sit them in March instead