Stroud High uniform

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
steppemum

Stroud High uniform

Post by steppemum »

dd1 starts SHS in sept, so I was looking at their uniform online today and I am amazed to find it will cost me twice as much to kit her out as ds who is at Marling. I am pretty irritated by this.

Marling - generic white shirts, generic black trousers. Logo blazer and tie.
SHS - school specific shirts, trousers and skirts, plus logo blazer and tie.

generic white shirts - 2 for £15
SHS shirts - 2 for £23

Anyway, irritation aside, I have 2 questions.

1. ds says that NO-ONE wears trousers and she will be teased for wearing trousers. Dd doesn't own any skirts and hates them. She hates tights even more. She is adamant that she is wearing trousers. Is she going to get teased?
2. Is there a second hand uniform forum, and if so, how do I find it, before it is all sold out?

thanks.
yellowdawg

Re: Stroud High uniform

Post by yellowdawg »

Hi Steppemum,

DD is in Year 7 at SHS and I'm afraid that skirts do seem to be the popular thing there. Very few wear trousers. Skirts have to be knee length and they did send out a letter a few weeks back pointing out that uniform standards had slipped and needed to be improved.

Don't think there is an online forum for second hand clothing (happy to be corrected!) but there's a new parents' evening in July (I think) and there was a sale of uniform in the Restaurant. Parents moved round School in tutor groups - my group was the third out of four to get to the sale part and there was still plenty of stuff left at that point.

I've done OK so far with two blazers (she won't wear a coat EVER), one jumper, two skirts (different lengths) but we had to go back for more shirts - just couldn't turn them around in the wash in time! PE kit bumped costs up and I made the stupid mistake of being talked into the branded PE bag by DD which has been used, er, once.

Hope this helps!
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

A bit off-beam, but I wish I could show you one of the photos I found in my late mother's things, of her and her classmates in their SHS dresses back in the 1930s (some - probably including Mum's - almost certainly homemade :) ).
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
steppemum

Post by steppemum »

thanks yellowdawg

I know at ds parent's evening, our group were 2 or 3 to the cafe and the uniform table was pretty empty.

I know I will need at least 5 shirts, dd will have to walk up from the station, and as they are polycotton, I think one day is going to be more than enough for a teenager!

I was hoping to only have one blazer, ds has only had one. He does wear a coat though, the station walk kind of makes it essential.

Just don't know what to do about the trousers. We have just met someone else going from near us to SHS and her daughter is just as adamant that she won't wear a skirt. Dd has quite an independent streak which doesn't care what other people think!
steppemum

Post by steppemum »

toad - all my summer dresses were homemade when I was little!
Amber

Post by Amber »

Buy her a pair of trousers and a second hand skirt and let her choose. Applaud her individuality loudly. She is not prepared to be uncomfortable to conform and that is a fabulous thing in a girl.

One blazer is surely enough. Mine have all had to make do with one whichever school, and have never owned a school coat, let alone worn one.
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

Amber wrote:Buy her a pair of trousers and a second hand skirt and let her choose. Applaud her individuality loudly. She is not prepared to be uncomfortable to conform and that is a fabulous thing in a girl.

One blazer is surely enough. Mine have all had to make do with one whichever school, and have never owned a school coat, let alone worn one.
Couldn't agree more (not from your area, OP :D ). It never occurred to me to get 2 blazers for any if my 3 children, and ditto coats - none of them have ever worn a coat to school.
scary mum
yellowdawg

Post by yellowdawg »

Just personal choice on the two blazers - they're not great quality, the girls have to wear them all the time unless told they can take them off and ours have come back with all sorts of stuff on them. I'm afraid DD doesn't treat them with the respect they deserve..... :roll:
Amber

Post by Amber »

yellowdawg wrote:Just personal choice on the two blazers - they're not great quality, the girls have to wear them all the time unless told they can take them off and ours have come back with all sorts of stuff on them. I'm afraid DD doesn't treat them with the respect they deserve..... :roll:
Maybe because she knows she has a spare. :wink:
My boys have to wear theirs all the time too and one often just drops it on the floor when he gets in. When I wash them at half term I am always amazed at the capacity of the pockets for yucky stuff (I don't put my hands in - they have to evacuate them).
Like you say though, personal choice. :)
Stressed?Moi?

Post by Stressed?Moi? »

One blazer for us too, for both kids. They had two each at their primary school, but both lost the spare so on principle they only have one and have to look after it. So far so good. I think Tommies' idea of a crested shirt in summer which can be worn alone (ie without tie or blazer) is a good one. Two less things to worry about losing! To the OP, I would say if you are going to have a job persuading your dd to wear a skirt and there is the option not to, I'd let her wear trousers. Not worth the battle and if she will feel more comfortable, then that has to be a good thing - especially when starting a new school.