recommended materials for grammar school test

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
aliolaluli

recommended materials for grammar school test

Post by aliolaluli »

Hello everyone

Unfortunately due to a number of personal reasons we left it too late to prepare for this test. My son is sitting the test for Pate's this September. Could I ask if someone could clarify for me what materials need reviewing? What books do we need to get? I could see here there are books for exams for 11+ but he was only 10 this July. Are they the one we should use? Any help in clarifying this as well as directing us would be greatly appreciated. Thank you. Natasha
scary mum

Re: recommended materials for grammar school test

Post by scary mum »

Does this page help?. I'm not from your area but I'm sure someone will be along who knows more. And yes, 10 year olds take the 11plus.
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/school ... re-11-plus" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
scary mum
aliolaluli

Post by aliolaluli »

scary mum wrote:Does this page help?. I'm not from your area but I'm sure someone will be along who knows more. And yes, 10 year olds take the 11plus.
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/school ... re-11-plus" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Thank you so much!! yes it does help. :)
gmw.pts

Post by gmw.pts »

I found the 3 CGP CEM Study books in Maths, Verbal Reasoning & Non Verbal Reasoning were good to work through alongside the accompanying Practice books. If you have the time, then you can start with those for the 9 -10 age group and then move on to the 10 - 11 books. All CGP books have Assessment tests at the back and come with a tear out Answer book with full explanations of all the answers. The Study books have a Benchmark Assessment to do at the start to give you an idea of the level your child is at. The CGP 10 minute tests are also good for when you're looking for short activities. Although you may find CGP books cheaper on other websites like Amazon, CGP offer generous discounts when you're buying a number of books at a time directly from them and I received mine within 24 hours. Add the books you want to their basket to find out how much discount you qualify for. It can be up to 35% if the books in your basket total £100. I bought a couple of extra books for a sibling in order to take the total to £100 and it was well worth it for the extra discount.

Eleven Plus Exams also publish a range of very good practice materials in all areas necessary for the CEM test, if you want to supplement CGP with something that looks a little different. In the summer, nearer to the test, move on to practising with full length papers. I used CGP and Collins/Letts 11+ Success Bumper Pack for CEM.

I also found the Usborne Illustrated Maths Dictionary to be an excellent resource for 11+ and SATs.

As well as the Freerice website for vocabulary and times tables, I used the Vocabulary.com website. You can sign up and then create your own vocabulary lists for children to work through. In addition to testing the vocabulary they also test spelling with a spelling bee so you can use it to input your child's weekly spelling lists too. One warning - the website is American so if you use their lists you need to check the spelling before assigning to your child. However, you can search for lists that have been added by other members. When you search for "11+" or "CEM" you'll find lists that have been created by 11+ tutors in the UK and you can assign those. Children are rewarded with points, badges etc as they increase their scores.

One tip I would also suggest is to get your child used to working with a clock and timing how long they take to do any exercise. It won't matter too much to begin with but it will help take the fear out of being timed later on.
Stressed?Moi?

Post by Stressed?Moi? »

[ I could see here there are books for exams for 11+ but he was only 10 this July. Are they the one we should use?

My ds is end-of-August, so he was 11 years and 10 days when he sat the test. It was no problem and he is doing fine at Tommies, so don't worry about age. His score will be standardised also so he won't be disadvantaged. Good luck.
gmw.pts

Post by gmw.pts »

Most children taking the test are only 10 years old. This year the test is next Saturday which means that children taking the test have only spent one week in Y6. However, I would still recommend using the age 10-11 Practice books before the test in order to prepare them to the necessary standard for the test.
gmw.pts

Post by gmw.pts »

I think using the term "11+" for a test taken by 10 year olds can be misleading but I guess it's used because it's the test in preparation for secondary education.
clarcats

Post by clarcats »

If anyone wants some books I have the CGP 11+ practice books with assessment tests that are in excellent condition, not written in and still with their answer booklets!
I have the Maths, Verbal Reasoning and Non Verbal Reasoning books that I am willing to sell for less than you'd buy new! (£10 for all 3, Stroud collection!)

Not sure if this is allowed on here, but message me if you'd like them! :)