HSFG skirts

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
varsity1

HSFG skirts

Post by varsity1 »

My daughter is very tall (5'8") and has the longest skirt available from Trutex (22") but it is nowhere near the required "knee length"
Had hoped I might be able to order a longer length but no luck. Anyone else had this problem? She is only in Year 8 and so we have many years to go yet and she is only going to get taller!
Any suggestions very welcome.
Stressed?Moi?

Re: HSFG skirts

Post by Stressed?Moi? »

varsity1 wrote:My daughter is very tall (5'8") and has the longest skirt available from Trutex (22") but it is nowhere near the required "knee length"
Had hoped I might be able to order a longer length but no luck. Anyone else had this problem? She is only in Year 8 and so we have many years to go yet and she is only going to get taller!
Any suggestions very welcome.
Frustrating I know. I asked the lady at Trutex why the skirts were so short and the reply was that it was what the girls wanted and that they couldn't sell longer skirts. I thought this was really depressing.
varsity1

Post by varsity1 »

Goodness! That is surprising!
That doesn't help at all if the school is saying the skirts are too short!
Has anyone found similar skirts at another retailer that would be acceptable to the school? I see that NEXT have a similar style in their Navy Workwear 26.5" long in a size 6.
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

Surely, if the school are requiring the skirts to be a certain length and their nominated supplier only sell that length and it comes up a little short (for the school's requirement), then just tell the school that you have bought the longest length available in their nominated supplier. If the school don't like it, they will put pressure on the supplier to rectify it - it is not your responsibility to scurry around trying to find an acceptable alternative.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

kenyancowgirl wrote:Surely, if the school are requiring the skirts to be a certain length and their nominated supplier only sell that length and it comes up a little short (for the school's requirement), then just tell the school that you have bought the longest length available in their nominated supplier. If the school don't like it, they will put pressure on the supplier to rectify it - it is not your responsibility to scurry around trying to find an acceptable alternative.
Looking at the uniform list on the website, it just says, this or this type of shirt and instructions about suitable fabric, not specifically that it has to be from Trutex, or have I missed something? I tried to have a look at the website of one of the suppliers for DD's school uniform to see whether they had an equivalent skirt, but it will only let me look at her school uniform (I don't think a green tartan kilt is much use to you).

I would suggest that the onus is on the school to suggest an alternative supplier.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
Stressed?Moi?

Post by Stressed?Moi? »

I agree, were it me, I would contact the school, tell them problem and ask them for a solution. If such an item doesn't exist, it isn't your fault.
varsity1

Post by varsity1 »

Thank you to everybody - I think if it is picked up again by the school then as you all say, I should let them know the problem. It does appear from the uniform list it is OK to purchase elsewhere, but after a bit of research it looks as though there is not much choice out there and it would be so much easier if what is required could be purchased from the nominated supplier. There are lots of tall girls out there!
scaredycat

Post by scaredycat »

There are girls who, for religious or cultural reasons, wear longer skirts (almost ankle length) which must be bought elsewhere. I don't think many of the girls wear skirts which are actually knee length; they seem to be pretty short! I wouldn't worry too much, and I don't think the school are too worried unless they are pelmet short! The only email I can remember last year was about the tightness of skirts :D
Watermelon8

Post by Watermelon8 »

scaredycat wrote:There are girls who, for religious or cultural reasons, wear longer skirts (almost ankle length) which must be bought elsewhere. I don't think many of the girls wear skirts which are actually knee length; they seem to be pretty short! I wouldn't worry too much, and I don't think the school are too worried unless they are pelmet short! The only email I can remember last year was about the tightness of skirts :D
I was going to say exactly the same thing! I've seen very few actually wearing knee length.