Rankings list

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
cazien

Re: Rankings list

Post by cazien »

EvilTwins wrote:Both liked Pates when we went to the open evening. We're going to Denmark Rd on Monday.

I suppose my biggest worry is that if one goes to Pates and the other to Denmark Rd then we're setting ourselves up for a lifetime of "she went to a better school than me..." So far they've always been pretty close (though not weirdly so) and VERY evenly matched at school.

Is it worth an appeal? I guess maybe if she's 201 but not if she's 251.

So which is the better school????....... :twisted: :?
Top 10 schools locally (ranked by % A* to C, then Progress 8, then EBacc) Rank // School // Local Authority // % getting at least a C at English and maths // Progress 8 score (0.00 = England average) // % getting EBacc, 2016

1 // Sir Thomas Rich's School // Gloucestershire // 100 // 0.53 // 84

2 // High School for Girls // Gloucestershire // 99 // 0.45 // 88

3 // Marling School // Gloucestershire // 99 // 0.21 // 49

4 // Stroud High School // Gloucestershire // 98 // 0.44 // 64

5 // Pate's Grammar School // Gloucestershire // 98 // 0.33 // 86

6 // The Crypt School // Gloucestershire // 98 // 0.16 // 52

7 // Ribston Hall High School // Gloucestershire // 97 // -0.01 // 61

8 // The Cotswold Academy // Gloucestershire // 85 // 0.49 // 52

9 // Balcarras School // Gloucestershire // 84 // 0.63 // 60

10 // Katharine Lady Berkeley's School // Gloucestershire // 80 // 0.34 // 46

Read more at http://www.gloucestershirelive.co.uk/gl ... EbLwCjb.99" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
MintTea71

Post by MintTea71 »

I think that if we knew how likely it was that she would/wouldn't get in, we'd be able to make a better choice about it. I've been working on the assumption that it is pretty unlikely that child number 198 would get in. Is there any info about last year available?

My DS is ranked 195 at Pates this year. Last year they went down to 180. I think it's a long shot but you never know!
Kismet

Post by Kismet »

Hi all. I don't want to make a big deal of this but just wanted a question related to something tabbycat said earlier. Firstly, well done to all your DCs for being in a position where they have a choice.

Tabbycat mentioned something about SHS having fewer girls from minorities. We are of Indian origin, albeit generations ago. My DD doesn't think of herself as Indian and is capable of integrating into any school. She was low on the list for HSFG (359) so realistically her choices will be Ribston (362) and SHS(313). We were all very impressed by SHS and the two tour guides that showed us around. It felt very friendly and didn't actually feel in any way excluding. Nonetheless I just wanted to ask, before making our choices, if there is any parent from a minority background prepared to tell me about their experience at Stroud High. I wouldn't want my DD to fell self conscious.
steppemum

Post by steppemum »

Hi Kismet,
I am not from an Asian bckground, but I have a ds at Marling and a dd just started at SHS.
I think the population reflects Stroud to be honest, Glouceter is a much more multi-cultural city.
My kids come in on the train from swindon, and it is very noticeable that about 70% of the girls and boys on the train are from minority backgrounds, compared to the % at the school itself.

Having said that, I think the balance is changing. In dd's class there are 3 girls with non white background, Korean, Afro-Carribean and South Asian (sorry they are slight guesses as I have met them but don't know their personal details)

So anecdotally that would be about 10%. Bearing in mind there are also girls form European backgrounds too (Polish/Russian/French) etc.

Sorry I can't tell you about actual experiences. They seem to all get along fine.
The Stu

Post by The Stu »

Im a bit confused by all this to be honest.

Currently living in Birmingham but moving back to the Stroud area so my daughter took the test at Stroud High School.

We received letters from SHS, Ribston and High School for Girls (Gloucester) none of these had a score on them. THe SHS letter said that my daughter had achieved a ranking within the top 150 girls and so should be offered a place if she applied for their school, the same was said in the High School for Girls letter.

The Ribston Letter went further and said that out of 835 girls who submitted for their school my daughter came 78th and would therefore likely be offered a place.

Now SHS is our first preference so am I reading it right that if we put SHS on our form my daughter will definately get a place there?

Also whats meant by all these ranking numbers?
cazien

Post by cazien »

Rankings are the position where each child finished for that particular school. If you are within PAN for a school then you should be safe for having a place allocated to you. SHS and HSFG only tell you that you that you achieved a place in the top 150 or where you are ranked lower than this number. Ribston tell you where you are ranked. You do not receive a score from any school. If SHS is your first choice then you are correct to put it first. Congrats and good luck on the move.
The Stu

Post by The Stu »

cazien wrote:Rankings are the position where each child finished for that particular school. If you are within PAN for a school then you should be safe for having a place allocated to you. SHS and HSFG only tell you that you that you achieved a place in the top 150 or where you are ranked lower than this number. Ribston tell you where you are ranked. You do not receive a score from any school. If SHS is your first choice then you are correct to put it first. Congrats and good luck on the move.
Excuse my ignorance but what's PAN? If my daughter was 78th for Ribston then would that be similar for SHS?

Also does being told you're within the top 150 guarantee a place?
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

Published Admission Numbers (ie number of seats available to Y7)
steppemum

Post by steppemum »

Hi The Stu,
as you are just interested in Stroud, I'll just tell you about Stroud (SHS)

So, SHS takes in 150 year 7 students every year.
From the girls who take the test and asked for their results to be shared with SHS, the school marks the papers, adjusts for age etc and then puts the girls in order from the highest scorer down to the lowest score.
Because they have 150 places, they tell the top scoring 150 children that they have a place in the top 150. As you can see, with 150 places, it is almost a 100% certainty that those 150 girls get the place they want. (on paper it is technically possible they don't but so unlikely as not to worry about)

The girls that are not in the top 150 get given a rank. So the girl with rank 151 knows that she only missed out on a place by one point. The girl with rank 400 knows that she is a long way fromt he 150, and unlikely to get a place.

because lots of people share their results with all the schools, many of those girls in the top 150 will not take up their place.
For example, girl A lives in Gloucester, and shared her results with all schools. She is in the top 150 for SHS, but decides she would rather go to one of the schools in Gloucester. She doesn't put SHS on her CAF form, so there is now a free place. The girl who was ranked at 151 has put SHS as her first choice on her CAF form, so she now gets that place.

In reality, so many girls move round, that even girls ranked down at 300 may get a place.

So, for you, yes you will get a place. But you don't have a place yet. You must remember though that you only get a place through your local authority and your CAF form.

The CAF form is the secdonary school application form, you fill it in for the local authority where you LIVE on 31st October. You simply fill in SHS as your preferred school. As SHS doesn't have any criteria about where you live, it doesn't matter if you are still in Birmingham, you will be given a place. You find out about the offer of a place in March. At the point that you move house, inform the local authority, but it shouldn't make any difference to your applicaion to SHS. Remember that if SHS is the school you want, you must put it in FIRST place on the form.
jerseycow

Post by jerseycow »

On the CAF form you are able to put additional information supporting your application choice - is it necessary to include anything when selection for GSs is based on rank alone? My DD2 has an older sister at our 1st preference GS (RH) - does that account for anything?

Also, if HSFGs and SHS each have an additional 30 places this year, does that mean that RH lowest rank entrance of last year (455) could reach the 500s this year?

Considering last years lowest rank at RH was 455 and they ranked to 500, that's a difference of 45 place at the bottom not getting offered a place. DD2 is 24 places from this years cut off of 535. :(