Ranking

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
cazien

Re: Ranking

Post by cazien »

BlueDoor wrote:Thank you Toadmum. I didn't know that was how it worked. So it's purely based on rankings, not preferences? I appreciate there's no way you can actually know, but do you think it's likely she'll get a grammar place somewhere with those scores?
I think you are very likely to get either SHS or Ribston. HSFG may be a little too far down the ranking. Put your preffered order of schools on your application form. Congrats and good luck :!:
BlueDoor

Post by BlueDoor »

Thank you for the advice. I am so tempted to print it out and show the head tomorrow, as I won't be the only one who has been told to put a comp first just in case they don't rank highly enough for grammar. I would have believed her, but I thought I'd read on here that wasn't right (I only joined recently but have read a few things on this forum over the last year) - I didn't know how the process worked though.

Thank you very much to those of you who have clarified things, we will now be able to do the CAF form with more confidence. I know we have to submit the form before the end of the month. Do we just have to wait until 1st March then? Nothing else we need to do in the meantime - except hope for a place?
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Bluedoor - it is unbelievably frustrating that parents are still being given the incorrect information.

Every year we get people who have put the local non selective school first on the CAF because "if we don't then we will never get a place there" which is possibly true in itself but doesn't allow for the fact that they really wanted to go the grammar school they have qualified for. They must put the schools in the genuine order of preference.
BlueDoor

Post by BlueDoor »

Thank goodness this forum exists and we now know how the system works, otherwise we would have followed what the head told us and our DD would have missed out on a grammar place entirely. I will make sure my friends in the same position read this so that they are clear. DD really wants SHS so this will be our first preference on the form. Is it a good idea to use all 5 preferences? So grammars in spaces 1-3, then preferred comp (which isn't nearest but people who live here often get in) at 4, then nearest comp at 5?
fairweathergardener

Post by fairweathergardener »

I'm an old member on here, whose children went through this (luckily ) before these hideous days of multiple tests. However, I'm lurking on here as I have friends who have children who have just taken these exams. I have to say that I was under the impression that things haven't changed since 3 years ago when my second child went through all of this, regarding what preferences take preference (so to speak) on the CAF. I thought a change was made about 6 years ago whereby you could put a grammar first and it wouldn't affect whether or not you would get a comp place by putting that comp second. I'm probably not being very articulate here, but what I mean is, you are no longer penalised by putting a grammar 1st; even if you don't get it, you should get your comp of choice even if it is a second choice on the form. This did not use to be the case. With my first child we had to put Balcarras first and the grammar second if we thought there was only a slim chance that she'd get in, or there would be no chance of getting Balcarras if second choice. I do believe that is not the case anymore.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Perhaps the Head needs to read this:

http://www.gloucestershire.gov.uk/CHttp ... =67071&p=0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Page 4 says:
Place the schools/academies in your true preference order with 1 being the school you would most like your child to attend.
We allocate schools using the equal preference system.
Schools/academies are not informed where you put them on your list.
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

Yes Bluedoor, it is a good idea to use all 5 spaces - you have nothing to lose and everything to gain. Remember though, that a GS is just a school - only put the 3 GSs down in spaces 1-3 if they genuinely would be the best place for your DD.
bozemoan

Post by bozemoan »

I'm a bit confused by my daughter's results. The only school which gave her ranking number was Ribston - she was 38th out of 835. At this point we thought she would be in at Pates which is where her sister goes. However (3 hours later) she didn't - although she was allocated a place at the other three girls schools. Logically a top 5% ranking would seem high enough to get into the top 10% for Pates and working backwards assuming Pates is everyone's first choice around 6-70 girls who do share with Ribston get into Pates. Those who didn't share with Ribston must have had a 50% pass rate for Pates in order for her not to get any placing - which seems extraordinary. The only thing I can think of is that the schools weight the tests differently. Does anyone know if this is the case? Both girls were untutored so we don't hear any tips that they might give, so would be very grateful if anyone knows - just really for sibling pride. Both are very bright girls and will do well wherever they go, the younger one is just a bit raw at the moment. Many Thanks.
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

Guest55 wrote:Perhaps the Head needs to read this:

http://www.gloucestershire.gov.uk/CHttp ... =67071&p=0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Page 4 says:
Place the schools/academies in your true preference order with 1 being the school you would most like your child to attend.
We allocate schools using the equal preference system.
Schools/academies are not informed where you put them on your list.
In addition here is an simplified example of how it works.
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/school ... nce-system" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Tinkers I was just assuming that she should be aware of her school's LA guidance ... :roll: