Sixth Forms

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
can'tthinkofone

Sixth Forms

Post by can'tthinkofone »

DD1 is in year 11 at HSFG. Really pleased with school and she is doing very well.

She has always said that she would stay on at HSFG sixth form as she was happy there but I was a bit underwhelmed by the sixth form open evening and wondering if she would be better to consider moving. She is likely to choose from the following subjects to study at a-level; maths, further maths, physics, geography, French or German.

Has anyone got any experience or words of wisdom from the following situations:-
1) DD who has stayed at HSFG
2) DD who has gone to Pates
3) DD who has gone to Tommies
piggys

Re: Sixth Forms

Post by piggys »

If you are pleased with the school and she is doing very well then what would you expect to get elsewhere?
cazien

Post by cazien »

piggys wrote:If you are pleased with the school and she is doing very well then what would you expect to get elsewhere?
A sixth form that fulfils her.

I know a number of girls who left HSFG to go to mainly STR, but other schools as well last year - they were very underwhelmed with the sixth form open evening despite being happy at the school for the previous 5 years. All are now so happy they made the move.
can'tthinkofone

If you are pleased with the school and she is doing very well then what would you expect to get elsewhere?
To be honest I don't know so that's why I asked the question to try and understand.

I just want to make sure she has considered all her options.
cazien

Post by cazien »

I can't help with comparisons/advice for those schools as I have sons who both opted to stay at Crypt.

But, visit open evenings, look at and compare prospectus booklets, the option block restrictions, entry requirements, extra curriculum activities/expectations etc. and of course historic A-level results.

I am guessing transport will not be an issue.

Closing dates for applications are looming (Crypts has already passed), so be careful you don't miss them.
CKMum

Post by CKMum »

Pate's Sixth Form Open evening is tomorrow night - in case you're interested (23rd Jan)
can'tthinkofone

CKMum wrote:Pate's Sixth Form Open evening is tomorrow night - in case you're interested (23rd Jan)

Thanks - we can't go unfortunately so we are arranging an alternative time to visit.
Closing dates for applications are looming (Crypts has already passed), so be careful you don't miss them.
It does seem quite tight in terms of viewing and deciding - only just got over mocks and results - maybe should have gone last year :?

Did your sons look at other sixth forms ? Are they glad they stayed?
Amber

Post by Amber »

I prefer not to criticise schools openly on here but would concur with those who feel HSFG is somewhat underwhelming at sixth form. Just look at the retention figures and they will speak for themselves. My sons both chose to stay at STR; the older one turned down a Pates place partly having seen the experience of his older sibling who moved there. Happy to PM if you want more but as I say I don’t feel comfortable slagging schools off on an open forum - we all look for different things and staff in all schools are all doing their best.
Bemily

Post by Bemily »

Hi

we are currently deciding as well. It's very hard! Dd is at Ribston.
We couldn't go to the HSFG evening - would yoy mind telling me a bit more what was good/not good? By pm if you like!
DC17C

Post by DC17C »

My dd moved from Ribston to Stroud due to option choices. It has been a great move for her thought really she spends most of her time at Marling with the subjects she is doing. I was surprised she didn’t stay at Ribston as she had a great time there...but moving on has been good and a step up in travelling, meeting new friends and independence which I think will stand her in good stead for the future.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now