Siblings: Same or Different schools???

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
tabbycat

Siblings: Same or Different schools???

Post by tabbycat »

We are in a fortunate situation to choose schools for DD2. Her elder sister is currently at Ribston Y8. She loves it there at Ribston and it is a wonderful school and we have no issue what so ever. However, we live near Stroud and our closest school by far is SHS. DD1 did not get in to SHS so Ribston was her second choice which we grew to love very much. Now our DD2 can go to SHS, we have to choose between SHS and Ribston. We will go to the open morning next week for both schools. DD1 will be really disappointed if her sister choose to go to a different school,,, However, DD2 has always been a shadow of her big sister and I have a feeling that she might do better in a different school....

We appreciate any comments from anyone who chose to send their children to different schools and how they are getting on.
hermanmunster

Re: Siblings: Same or Different schools???

Post by hermanmunster »

I would let DD2 visit both and choose for herself
Stressed?Moi?

Post by Stressed?Moi? »

Definately take her to see both (again?). Depends on personality I would say. SHS may suit her better than Ribston. My experience of senior school is that they probably won't see each other too much anyway so I personally wouldn't worry about that. On a practical note, having them at the same place is easier i.e. same school holidays, inset days, cathedral evening, Open Evening duties, some parents evenings, concerts etc. knowing the same teachers gives them something in common. Also, she'll be able to have her sister's outgrown uniform! Peace of mind for them traveling together is nice too. Well done to her btw.
Watermelon8

Post by Watermelon8 »

I may have the same issue hopefully :shock: in 2 yrs. children are different & what suits one may not be right for another. Go with your instinct...& your child's thoughts.
GL2Mum

Post by GL2Mum »

I have a child in the VIth form at Crypt. My 10yo son has ranked in top 150 for Pates (and top whatever the no is for the other grammars) so our choice is essentially Crypt (closer to home (can ride bike, can even walk at a push), we know staff etc) or Pates (bus journey starting before 7.30am! (argh!) - longer days)

I am essentially letting the 10yo make the choice of which school he prefers (we like both) - he is the one who will be at the school and will have the earlier starts - and if he goes to Crypt he and his sibling will only be at the same school for a year anyway.
Iona

Post by Iona »

I have two daughters in years 8 and 10 at different schools. I was concerned before my youngest started, but it's never been an issue. Sometimes events clash, but not often. They are both happy in their respective schools and it was the best decision for each of them. Children are always more resilient than we give them credit for.
tabbycat

Post by tabbycat »

Thank you, Stressed Moi, very good point. I looked up both Ribston and SHS term dates and you are right, they do not match!!! We will have only one week Easter holiday together if they go to different school.... Still it is only one aspect of their school life so we will let my DD2 have a good look tomorrow at Ribston and on Thursday at SHS. Last time, we did open evenings so this time, we are going in the morning to compare.
tabbycat

Post by tabbycat »

After the two open mornings at Ribston and SHS, my DD2 has a clear preference! It was much easier decision that I anticipated. Thank you everyone for your comments :lol:
Amber

Post by Amber »

Having two at the same school is wonderful! Especially when the older one can drive... :)
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now