Progress 8

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Amber

Progress 8

Post by Amber »

For lovers of league tables, try this one. If you put 'Glou' into the search field you will get the scores for the local schools. It is arguably a fairer way than straightforward lists of looking at which schools make the best of their intake. If you like data.
https://www.theguardian.com/education/2 ... le-shakeup" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The top 5 are
Balcarras
STRS
Cotswold Academy
HSG
Stroud High

(Pates 6; Marling 13; Crypt 15; Ribston 22)

The article also contains A level results tables.

An very thorough explanation of how progress 8 is calculated can be found here:
https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/s ... Jan_17.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Last edited by Amber on Thu Jan 19, 2017 9:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Guest55

Re: Progress 8

Post by Guest55 »

As far as I am aware, Progress 8 only refers to GCSE results [or other qualifications taken in Year 11].
Amber

Post by Amber »

Quite right, it does.
If I had read the Guardian article correctly I would have spotted that juxtaposition. I shall go back and edit my original post. Thanks G55. :D
Cup of tea

Post by Cup of tea »

Quite shocked that Ribston (as a GS) had a negative score. Great news for Tommies and Hsfg/Denmark Road!
Amber

Post by Amber »

Cup of tea wrote:Quite shocked that Ribston (as a GS) had a negative score. Great news for Tommies and Hsfg/Denmark Road!
Ribston does not perform well in the A level tables either, nor does Marling, especially. This is not to say the schools aren't great in other ways, but it does help to offer another perspective to parents whose wish is for a grammar school and who get upset by their child not getting into one. It is especially interesting to me that we often see parents here from Bristol trying to get their children into Gloucester grammars because of the supposed parlous state of Bristol schools - there are 6 Bristol schools above Ribston in that A level table and that will only be the ones which come under South Gloucestershire.

As usual, all league tables must be treated very cautiously indeed.
DC17C

Post by DC17C »

I have to admit as a parent with a dd at Ribston it has been absolutely the right school for my dd and she has blossomed there but if I lived in Bristol or Swindon I would be looking for a closer school. If parents are only going to go by league tables and not visit a school and see if it a good fit for their child then so be it ..perhaps a few more local children will get places. The sixth form thing is also an issue - I assumed my dd would stay for sixth form ...she is happy to do so in may respects but it looks like she may have to move to be able to do her subjects choices as she wants to do computer science.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now