Waiting list

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
can'tthinkofone

Re: Waiting list

Post by can'tthinkofone »

Gloucestershire County Council website says "Letters confirming the results of the waiting list round of allocations will be sent out on Friday 31st March second class and so should be received on Monday 3rd April 2017."
Kismet

Post by Kismet »

Ooh :shock: I'm just conscious that I have two weeks of school holidays before the appeal deadline so wanted to not have to think about it in that time. Not sure what the appeal deadline is, or indeed, as I said earlier whether or not it would be the way forward anyway. I just want to be sure I've thought it through as I don't want to look back and wonder what if. What if there was more harmony in the house cos both of mine were at sister schools :lol: or would there be less harmony cos they are on the same bus. 'I told you already, roll your skirt down. You're not pretty! You think you're 18 but you're 11!' We already get occasional tasters :roll: Oh dear my brain hurts with all this decision making.
cazien

Post by cazien »

can'tthinkofone wrote:Gloucestershire County Council website says "Letters confirming the results of the waiting list round of allocations will be sent out on Friday 31st March second class and so should be received on Monday 3rd April 2017."
A few years ago we had a letter from the school not the Council offering a place. The letter stated that we had to inform the Council and the school we had already been allocated that we would be moving schools. Could be different every year I guess. :roll:
Mummy Moomin

Post by Mummy Moomin »

Thank you Cazian. It would be amazing if the letter arrives on Sat. He scored within the top 200 so I'm hopeful :? But who knows....,
cazien

Post by cazien »

Kismet wrote:Crypt thing was just something I'd heard, that on allocations day they don't fill the PAN. Who knows....mine is not to reason why....
I know in previous years not enough children who were allocated a qualifying rank opted to go to Grammar Schools here. DC's from other Counties used to take the Gloucestershire Test as a "mock test" because it was before their own County test. Plus you have people who just don't want the school they have rank for (friends DS had rank at Crypt and Marling but only wanted Pates so went to local comp in Cheltenham). A rank was also used by parents to negotiate lower fees at private schools. There is movement for a long time now - DD's school had a person begin in October as she was next on waiting list and a space became available.

I think when a school publishes an admissions number they have to honour that number. As the Council are responsible for allocations only exceptional circumstances like not enough DC's opting for that school will leave places available.

Good luck!!!
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

cazien wrote:
Kismet wrote:Crypt thing was just something I'd heard, that on allocations day they don't fill the PAN. Who knows....mine is not to reason why....

I think when a school publishes an admissions number they have to honour that number. As the Council are responsible for allocations only exceptional circumstances like not enough DC's opting for that school will leave places available.

Good luck!!!
Fully selective schools do not have to admit up to PAN if there are not enough qualifying applicants. Partially-selective comprehensives, on the other hand, do have to offer unfilled 'selective' places to applicants who only fall into other oversubscription categories.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
Kismet

Post by Kismet »

Thanks all.

I heard something a bit worrying today about late sitters who have just got straight into Pates. How does that happen when all places were allocated? Would they have had to get higher marks than those that took it in September to get straight in? I'd thought they didn't get an advantage and just had to join the waiting list with everyone else. Makes me wonder if they really forgot to register or just wanted the advantage of 6 months of year 6 before they sat the test. Also, I heard that late sitters did the same test as September sitters. Is that really the case? That would seem very unfair.

Hrmph. Any clarification appreciated :?
pixiequeen

Post by pixiequeen »

Kismet, I was searching for school allocation info. on the internet the other day and the allocation info. for Pates actually showed that they had only allocated 149 places out of 150 on allocation day. I presume that means there was room for at least one late sitter so long as they reached the qualifying score.
Kismet

Post by Kismet »

Thanks Pixiequeen but I've heard of at least 2 and I wonder if they had to achieve a higher score than those already on waiting list. Also one late sitter for tommies and one for crypt. Tommies filled their spaces and crypt underfills.

It may be that I just don't understand the system but it doesn't feel right. I don't begrudge the children their good luck and I believe one of them to be very very bright so I wish them well. It's just hard on those parents of very bright children who may have just missed out but didn't think it worth waitlisting. Their children may also have qualified for pates six months later if it's at the same standard.

Thanks Toadmum. That's useful to know.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

Kismet wrote:Thanks Pixiequeen but I've heard of at least 2 and I wonder if they had to achieve a higher score than those already on waiting list. Also one late sitter for tommies and one for crypt. Tommies filled their spaces and crypt underfills.

It may be that I just don't understand the system but it doesn't feel right. I don't begrudge the children their good luck and I believe one of them to be very very bright so I wish them well. It's just hard on those parents of very bright children who may have just missed out but didn't think it worth waitlisting. Their children may also have qualified for pates six months later if it's at the same standard.

Thanks Toadmum. That's useful to know.
As per my previous response, what do you mean by 'Crypt underfills'? If they are not at PAN and there are qualified applicants who have not placed a school for which they also qualify in a higher position one their CAF, then the places must be offered (and will be, via Gloucestershire CC). Although the school doesn't have to take unqualified applicants in order to get 'PAN' Bottoms on seats, as far as I am aware it is not allowed to create an artificial waiting list by not admitting those who do qualify and who have Crypt as their highest 'fulfillable' preference.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx