Go to navigation
It is currently Sat Mar 06, 2021 5:06 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 10:49 am 

3rd time for us. DS found it ok, some hard bits. At pick up some boys looked completely shell shocked others fine & were immediately grilled by parents 'did you leave any blank' 'was it easier than the mock' etc etc. Such an awful system :( No disrespect to anyone who lives far away or out of county, let's face it everyone wants the best for their child! But as a local parent who walked to the test centre it is really galling to see the horrendous traffic jams at the test & know how far some people are travelling. It's so sad knowing how many bright, local children do not get places as they simply cannot afford to compete with those living much further away who have been intensively tutored. Who ever decided this was an untutorable test is sadly wrong! Apart from in a minority of extraordinary circumstances (before anyone shouts me down!)to pass you need to do some prep whether at home as we did or with a tutor. But this time round, it seems so much more competitive with more mock test centres etc.
A sad system when local, bright children have to be bused out of the city while hoards come in. Not good for the schools who then struggle to get pupils back for evening events, sports fixtures etc. as pupils live too far away. :cry:

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 11:25 am 

I 100% agree about local bias (or not as the case currently is). I believe there should be a weighting on this to encourage more locals to apply. Whilst academic ability should be the primary factor, your travelling distance should also matter. Im not bothered about out of county - if you live near a border then you have as much right to apply as other locals - it should just be down to straight line or walking distance. Then we might see more after school activities and more of a "community" than we see today. A benefit for the school is that this might also bring on more kids on free meals and therefore improve their finances.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 11:37 am 

I'm sure there was an article in the local press last year about Ribston and HSFG planning to give priority to applicants with GL1 to GL4 postcodes. Does anyone know if that is still going ahead?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 11:50 am 

Bugsiejane wrote:
I'm sure there was an article in the local press last year about Ribston and HSFG giving priority to applicants with GL1 to GL4 postcodes. Does anyone know if that is still going ahead?

Crypt can be added to the list as well.

I think they are getting annoyed at the disruption caused by pupils arriving late and pupils/parents not turning up to after school activities/events etc.

Crypt are in the process of submitting a planning application for a Primary school to be built on site, with the intention/hope of it becoming a feeder school.

I don't know how much time and effort has to used for allocated education budgets having to be claimed for out-of-county pupils either.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 2:08 pm 

Crypt are proposing primary on site but all grammars have to take children via score unless they specifically state they will make allowances for particular locality, pp status etc. Even if the primary gets the go ahead it cannot be a true feeder school as a certain score has to be attained.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 12:15 pm 

I know if one place and two children with same score, child that lives nearest gets it.

Must be a long day for some of the children.

Mine leave the house at 7.55 and get the coach. Arrive home about 4.05. I'm happy with that.

Mrs D

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 10:14 pm 

I totally agree. From my first conversation with the admissions lady at STR saying that the test was changed to stop all the tutoring ( older daughter sat old style test ) .... I completely disagree with her, it would be irresponsible to let your child sit this test without some preparation. And yes I think that it is sooo much more competitive this time around, only 4 years later.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 12:09 pm 

Yes, only a super bright child is likely to pass without any preparation. Even the practice with the marking sheets speeds the child up and gives them a better chance of passing in my opinion. The out of county debate is so tricky as although I agree it would be better all round for local children and schools if more local children got places who can blame parents in Swindon for putting their child on a train to Stroud for a better education when possibly jobs/housing in Gloucestershire are out of their reach. They just want the best for their child like we all do.

The whole PP debate does raise my hackles somewhat. In Stroud there feels almost like a conspiracy of silence around grammar schools. Primary schools behave as though they don't exist. The letter about school choices arrives long after the the test application date has passed. Unless you are a switched on, dare I say it 'middle class' parent you simply would not be aware of, or perhaps even be able to cope with, the complexities of the admission system. Weren't grammar schools set up purposefully to give equal opportunity to children regardless of social background? In Gloucestershire we could barely have moved farther away from that premise. Rant rant I know - but what is the point of schools having PP policies until the system actually gives these children real access to, and preparation for the test in the first place.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 9:01 am 

I think preparation is crucial, tutoring is not.
A child absolutely needs practice for the format and type of questions that come up, but there is comprehensive guidance for that on youtube for free. Beyond that is the small outlay for Bond books or whatever. We found all this useful and had 2 qualify even though it wasn't strictly CEM focussed.
Distance is tricky and yes, wouldn't it be nice if schools were only populated by those nearby. however, for as long as you have got grammar schools in selected areas and not throughout the country, you are going to get out of county applications, and its all very well for those of us who live within catchment to say its wrong, but if you want your child to attend GS and they do too, who can blame them for trying? Might not be the wisest choice commute wise, but again, those of us within catchment don't have to make that decision do we?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 11:14 am 

Yamin151 wrote:
I think preparation is crucial, tutoring is not.
A child absolutely needs practice for the format and type of questions that come up, but there is comprehensive guidance for that on youtube for free. Beyond that is the small outlay for Bond books or whatever. We found all this useful and had 2 qualify even though it wasn't strictly CEM focussed.
Distance is tricky and yes, wouldn't it be nice if schools were only populated by those nearby. however, for as long as you have got grammar schools in selected areas and not throughout the country, you are going to get out of county applications, and its all very well for those of us who live within catchment to say its wrong, but if you want your child to attend GS and they do too, who can blame them for trying? Might not be the wisest choice commute wise, but again, those of us within catchment don't have to make that decision do we?

I agree with you that outlay can be minimal. We used mostly borrowed resources & advice from friends was invaluable. But my ds this year (& ds/dd before) said 'I'm really surprised so & so isn't doing the test/didn't pass the test, they're in top maths & are really clever'. It discriminates against bright children who may not have the home support for whatever reason - time/inclination/knowledge etc. 6 years of doing these darn tests now for us :shock: & I'm still surprised by the number of parents each year in my ds/dd's cohort who are completely laid back & let their children just 'have a go' at the test with little/no prep because they don't really understand how ridiculously competitive the whole thing is! More often than not they don't pass :(