SATS Resources

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
pish

SATS Resources

Post by pish »

Hi all

Nothing to do with 11+ exams -

Can I please have some recommendations for SATS - year 6 - Online resources/books.

Not sure where to start from.

Thanks for reading
Guest55

Re: SATS Resources

Post by Guest55 »

Schools will do plenty of practising and revision - I don't think you will need to do any more at home.
Amber

Post by Amber »

+1
Your child won't be able to get away from it at school. No need to make his or her life a misery at home over it too. My son still says year 6 was the worst of his life with all the SATs practice, and he's just done his GCSEs!
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

+2....why on earth would you want to do additional SATS stuff at home? SATs are important for the school's targets but make very little difference to the individual child when they move to secondary - allegedly some schools stream by SATs results - I have not come across this - most secondary schools I have worked in or had experience of, prefer to run their own tests during the first year - and many do not stream at all.

The amount of work each school will expect your child to do during the school day in order to try and "up" the SATs results will be hideous. The kids will be exhausted and bored and totally disengaged/disenchanted from and with education, if they are anything like all the kids in both my boys years at school. Dreadful tests and the best thing you can do as a parent is ignore they are happening and remind your child that they should do their best but not stress about them.
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

As a teacher who works with year 6 children, I have to agree!

Even though not all schools resort to endless practice tests (ours doesn't), year 6 is a very intense year.
Let them enjoy their childhood.
pish

Post by pish »

Thank you all for your replies and detailed explanation.

I get the point now :). Will leave it then
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

Read lots, play word games, visit places and talk about everything, perfect tuition!
libreria

Post by libreria »

yoyo123 wrote:Read lots, play word games, visit places and talk about everything, perfect tuition!
You are my kind of teacher! This is exactly my approach. Besides which, I feel my daughter has been through enough preparing for the entrance test and deserves a break from all that stuff whilst at home. At the end of the day they are only 10, still children, and I want her just to enjoy this last year of primary. Thankfully her school does not seem too SATS obsessed.

Out of interest Yoyo, how great is the correlation between passing the 11plus and high SATS results in your experience?
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

Not had much correlation with the new stats and 11+ as its only been 2 years.
In the first year we had one boy “not secondary ready” who had passed 11+ easily.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

yoyo123 wrote:Not had much correlation with the new stats and 11+ as its only been 2 years.
In the first year we had one boy “not secondary ready” who had passed 11+ easily.
Which one of these was the more surprising?
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now