Info about Pates ranking

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Debims

Re: Info about Pates ranking

Post by Debims »

chumba wrote:Hi Debims, that would have got him in last year. DD was in 170's and allocated a place in March and I think they went down to 190's, but I can't be completely sure about that! Well done to your DS.
Oh thank you that's great news!
Amber

Post by Amber »

It depends how many decide to turn down a Pates place in favour of another school. Anecdotally there is an increasing trend for this to happen, but it varies a lot year to year. A few years ago they ended up calling people who had missed the qualifying score as they hadn't ranked them and too many qualifiers had gone elsewhere, but after that they started ranking further down to avoid that happening again.

Hope you get what you want anyway. :)
stroudydad

Post by stroudydad »

Amber wrote:It depends how many decide to turn down a Pates place in favour of another school. Anecdotally there is an increasing trend for this to happen, but it varies a lot year to year. A few years ago they ended up calling people who had missed the qualifying score as they hadn't ranked them and too many qualifiers had gone elsewhere, but after that they started ranking further down to avoid that happening again.

Hope you get what you want anyway. :)
If I remember correctly that was the low birth rate year at the turn of the millennium. Currently year 13s
jackman

Post by jackman »

Do you not get a rank at Pate's if in top 150?

Reading Pate's admission policy, it appears that even being in top 150 isn't a guarantee:

Where the number of applications exceeds the number of places available at
the school, places will be offered in the following order:
1. Looked After Children/Previously Looked After Children (defined
below);
2. Children attracting Pupil Premium (defined below)
3. Other ‘qualified’ children, in test rank order, until 150 places are
filled.

In theory, a pupil may miss out if rank is near to the lower end of top 150?
kittymom

Post by kittymom »

jackman wrote:Do you not get a rank at Pate's if in top 150?

Reading Pate's admission policy, it appears that even being in top 150 isn't a guarantee:

Where the number of applications exceeds the number of places available at
the school, places will be offered in the following order:
1. Looked After Children/Previously Looked After Children (defined
below);
2. Children attracting Pupil Premium (defined below)
3. Other ‘qualified’ children, in test rank order, until 150 places are
filled.

In theory, a pupil may miss out if rank is near to the lower end of top 150?
My DS was within PAN for Pates a couple of years ago, and wasn't given a rank. We were told that within-PAN children wouldn't in order to discourage the "Where did you rank?" conversations at the beginning of Y7. I understand that children ranked up to 190 are likely to get in, so you have a very good chance. Good luck. My DS loves Pates - it's a fabulous, nurturing, fun place to learn. x
sunnyfunnymummy

Post by sunnyfunnymummy »

My DD got a ranking of 194 for Pate's which is far and away her 1st choice and the best school everything considered for her. What are her chances? How will cord Crypt and people choosing other grammars and private and closer to home schools over Pate's affect the Pate's intake for 2018?
smileandsparkle

Post by smileandsparkle »

sunnyfunnymummy wrote:My DD got a ranking of 194 for Pate's which is far and away her 1st choice and the best school everything considered for her. What are her chances? How will cord Crypt and people choosing other grammars and private and closer to home schools over Pate's affect the Pate's intake for 2018?
I emailed Pates admission and they confirmed that they went down to rank 200 last year, and 180 the year before.

However, intake across the board is higher this year so with more places available there is the potential for them to reach even further down the rankings this year, hence why they have ranked up to 225.

Good luck if you decide to put it down as 1st choice!!
sunnyfunnymummy

Post by sunnyfunnymummy »

smileandsparkle wrote:
sunnyfunnymummy wrote:My DD got a ranking of 194 for Pate's which is far and away her 1st choice and the best school everything considered for her. What are her chances? How will cord Crypt and people choosing other grammars and private and closer to home schools over Pate's affect the Pate's intake for 2018?
I emailed Pates admission and they confirmed that they went down to rank 200 last year, and 180 the year before.

However, intake across the board is higher this year so with more places available there is the potential for them to reach even further down the rankings this year, hence why they have ranked up to 225.

Good luck if you decide to put it down as 1st choice!!
Thanks so much Smileabdsparkle :D - hope :-) - a decent chance then? Would she likely find out on 1 March or later?
Why is intake across the board higher - i.e. What caused it? And how much higher is it?
Amber

Post by Amber »

sunnyfunnymummy wrote:Why is intake across the board higher - i.e. What caused it? And how much higher is it?
All of the schools have increased their PAN. Ostensibly for all kinds of noble reasons, but really in order to try and get more money in the wake of disastrous funding cuts.
tabbycat

Post by tabbycat »

I believe Ribston is the only school with the PAN 120 and all the others increased to 150. I think 30 extra bodies in each year makes quite a big difference.