Stroud High School - thoughts pls?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
DC17C

Re: Stroud High School - thoughts pls?

Post by DC17C »

stroudydad wrote:In essence they are taught together but are still classed as either Marling or SHS students. So entered into exams by separaate entitities. I guess the difference is actually down to the battle of the sexes..?!
Yes it seems there are some subjects may be more popular with boys and girls...further maths and computer science for example.....
mar_sea

Post by mar_sea »

The A level stats posted made very interesting reading. I decided to view the actual results posted on the school websites (Girl schools) taking particular interest in the number of A and A* for what I consider the core subjects Maths, English and the Sciences.
SHS:
Maths and English including Literature: 36 A and A* giving 39.1%
Maths, English and the Sciences: 67 A and A* giving 35.3%
Ribston:
Maths and English including Literature: 18 A and A* giving 30%
Maths, English and the Sciences: 31 A and A* giving 27.2%
HSFG:
No A level results displayed on their website! All the other results exist, was it a bad year for top grades?
If someone could post where they can be found I will calculate their stats.

I selected the above criteria as the Russell Group Universities require 3 As for many of the top courses.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

mar_sea wrote:The A level stats posted made very interesting reading. I decided to view the actual results posted on the school websites (Girl schools) taking particular interest in the number of A and A* for what I consider the core subjects Maths, English and the Sciences.
SHS:
Maths and English including Literature: 36 A and A* giving 39.1%
Maths, English and the Sciences: 67 A and A* giving 35.3%
Ribston:
Maths and English including Literature: 18 A and A* giving 30%
Maths, English and the Sciences: 31 A and A* giving 27.2%
HSFG:
No A level results displayed on their website! All the other results exist, was it a bad year for top grades?

I selected the above criteria as the Russell Group Universities require 3 As for many of the top courses.
Some non-Russell Group demand higher standards than that. Bath wants A*AA for Architecture and for Chemical Engineering, to name but two.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
Amber

Post by Amber »

mar_sea wrote: HSFG:
I get the feeling that they are not wanting to shout about them. This quote from the Head on results day might give a clue why not. It follows a lengthy explanation by the Head of the fact that the exams changed this year:
“It’s difficult to know what to expect when there is so much change, but I was still a little surprised by the lower number of very high grades. Some of the results don’t seem to always match the work put in.”
Pupils and staff often turn in some of the best exam results in the country at HSFG but this year there was a slight dip in the top grades as the system changed to focus on exam results rather than coursework.
Overall the A*-C pass rate was 83.3 per cent but the percentage of A and A*s at the Denmark Road school fell from around 30 per cent to 24.2 per cent*.
http://www.gloucestershirelive.co.uk/ne ... ool-340835" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

To be fair though, the overall number of top grades in science and maths at A2 was down nationally and I don't think Denmark Rd are the only ones to be hit. They may be the only ones locally trying to conceal it though by not making the results available on their website, as you rightly note.

*for reference, same figure at STR was 43%. Don't know about Pates but presumably higher.

And ETA Ribston 24%; SHS 37% A-A* at A level
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now