Does anyone know anything about Pate's Ranking System?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Jamiep6

Does anyone know anything about Pate's Ranking System?

Post by Jamiep6 »

Hi,
My DS has just got his 11+ results & we've been told he met the qualifying standard & was in the first 150 for Marling (hurray!). However, his Pate's result (the only other school we shared with) was way down - in the 700s - & we have since found out that he was given a higher ranking for Marling compared to another child we know, but his ranking for Pate's was much lower than that of the same child - I wondered how this was possible?
I understand that Pate's require candidates to pass all three sections of the test (separately) to their qualifying standard (anyone know what that standard is?) while the other schools work on the basis of the overall score only. Considering what our DS said to us about the test, it sounds as if he might have messed up one section, while he felt he did well on the others. Does this tally with anyone else? And does anyone have any inside info on how Pate's rank? I've had a couple of worry moments that we may have somehow got the wrong result(!) & he hasn't got into Marling at all - it doesn't seem likely, it all looks fine & clear, but since we only shared with two schools & their rankings were so very different, it's difficult to tell what's gone on...
Any info very welcome. Thank you. :)
dr.watson

Re: Does anyone know anything about Pate's Ranking System?

Post by dr.watson »

DS2 - Pates 762 and 251 on Marling. I think all schools are looking at different sections.
MountainDweller

Post by MountainDweller »

dr.watson wrote:DS2 - Pates 762 and 251 on Marling. I think all schools are looking at different sections.
I agree with Dr W.

DS raked for Pates early 600s and for Marling early 300s. I suspect DS did really well in the section Pates rated as important....then significantly less well in the other sections! I presume that's why his ranking for Marling was low.
Jamiep6

Post by Jamiep6 »

Thank you dr.watson & MountainDweller! Just hearing that you also had a big range in your rankings makes me feel sooooo much better... :D
wileycoyote

Post by wileycoyote »

I can't seem to see anywhere how many children shared their result with Pate's. Is that a known known, or an unknown known? :lol:
Jamiep6

Post by Jamiep6 »

wileycoyote wrote:I can't seem to see anywhere how many children shared their result with Pate's. Is that a known known, or an unknown known? :lol:
I think you can find out (although I haven't seen it on this forum yet) because the info is there for other schools. But at the moment it is definitely an unknown - for me at least... :wink:
dr.watson

Post by dr.watson »

Unfortunately Pates didn't publish the total number of pupils who shared the results with them.
Jamiep6

Post by Jamiep6 »

dr.watson wrote:Unfortunately Pates didn't publish the total number of pupils who shared the results with them.
Thanks, dr.watson. Sounds like Pates do a lot of things differently from the other schools - ok for them, but it makes it a bit trickier for us mere parents to work out what's going on! But then maybe that's the idea... :wink:
If it's any help, I read somewhere on here that 1,819 shared their results with Crypt this time, so I guess the number for Pates is likely to be at least as high as that...
Debims

Post by Debims »

At the open morning on Monday the head said 1200 children shared with Pate's if I remember correctly
smileandsparkle

Post by smileandsparkle »

Debims wrote:At the open morning on Monday the head said 1200 children shared with Pate's if I remember correctly
Yes you do remember correctly! Although not sure of the exact figure, Mr Ellicott definitely said 1200 shares. :)
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now