HSFG vs Pates - opinions?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

stroudydad

Re: HSFG vs Pates - opinions?

Post by stroudydad »

FluffyCat wrote:I have a child at Pate's and one at Stroud High. We are an ordinary family, not wealthy, not pushy and certainly didn't over-tutor our children. Stroud High is a great school. It deserves its Outstanding status and does a lot of things very well. Dd is very happy there and I'm convinced she will do brilliantly at GCSE. Pate's is beyond outstanding. It really is. I cannot think of one instance in over five years where I have had cause to complain or moan. They take things to another level and it is really hard to explain how.

If your child likes the school and you can genuinely say you haven't over-tutored them to get there then you cannot do better. It's not all about results. I fully expect my SHS daughter to do better at her GCSEs if I'm totally honest. It is about the right school for the child. Pate's is fantastically, brilliantly amazing. I wish I could go there. But if my child had needed more than familiarization with the test and practice doing timed papers to get in then it is not the school for them.

I would happily send another daughter to Stroud High (or HSFG if that were nearer) but if they passed for Pate's, then yes I can unequivocally say that it has been worth the 45 minute bus journey and the extortionate bus fare.

I will now don my hard hat and retire to a safe distance and be thankful that whilst I have clocked who Stroudydad is at school concerts, I don't think he has identified me! :lol: :wink:
You make a large assumption:-) though I should say it kind of hard to miss my daughter isn't it.. even the family she was showing round on Thursday evening recognised her from the picture on the whiteboard.

By the way. Undoubtedly Pates is a great school - just not one that fits with my views. That's the great thing about democracy though. We all get our own choice.. except Brexit.. that's just wrong.. :D
Sandwich

Post by Sandwich »

Some thoughts from our research:

1. From a teacher: there are some exceptionally bright kids there and some kids struggle from going from #1 in their previous school to an average pupil at Pates. But, everyone is good enough and school helps and encourages all. Rank is not the key performance indicators. Some kids have had 2 years coaching to get in - they do not always do well.

2. From a teacher: when problems do arise they are most likely to be from self induced pressure and pupils, who may not be the top pupils, striving for perfection. Advice was to think how your kid approaches work, learning, and attitude / mental resilience.

3. From a pupil who left last year (and in terms of full disclosure did not achieve great results): loved the school and would choose it again. Teachers always willing to support and she could approach without fear or criticism. Method of teaching and experience has set her up well for uni, but she did not want to go to top/ultra competitive uni because of her experience at Pates.

4. From our research: interesting that lots of people are asking about will their kid thrive at Pates, no one appears to have the same issue about HSFG. It just quietly sits there and has a great reputation.

5. Interesting letter from head saying great things about Happiness and welfare. Hopefully all true, but also should be read in context of Pates not filling all places last year - need pupils (funding?).

We're still a little torn!!
GL2Mum

Post by GL2Mum »

One of mine went to Ribston, one is at Crypt and one is at Pates. Each of these schools was the right one for the child concerned. Pates travel time was an issue from our point of view but left it to child to choose (qualified within PAN so had a very good chance of getting in). The bus pass is 'only' £850 (I think Crypt one would cost similar, and we are close enough for son to cycle there) Leaves home - home by 4.30 (whereas daughter's travel to Ribston meant leaving home at 7.45 and home at 4.15 - and it is our closest girls' grammar - not massively dissimilar)
FluffyCat

Post by FluffyCat »

That's the great thing about democracy though. We all get our own choice.. except Brexit.. that's just wrong.. :D
Stroudydad - We are clearly of one mind in most things!
CKMum

Post by CKMum »

FluffyCat wrote:
That's the great thing about democracy though. We all get our own choice.. except Brexit.. that's just wrong.. :D
Stroudydad - We are clearly of one mind in most things!
+1!
DC17C

Post by DC17C »

smileandsparkle wrote:Cazien - yes transport is the biggest issue, although if its the only issue then I'll happily forgo the weekend wine to cover the costs :lol: I would have to decide whether to get the Bennetts (or I think theres an I-go that picks up near us too), or to catch the 94 - do you happen to know if it stops anywhere near Pates? Lets see what these open days bring - we will be looking out for different things this time so can hopefully make a more informed decision.

CKmum - thanks so much for your input, I don't know any other Pates parents to ask! I think (travel aside) it would be the better school for her in terms of it being mixed - she gets on much better with boys than girls and hates the girly cliquey thing going on at her primary school at the moment. However, I do worry with her being ranked just under PAN that she would be at the bottom of the intelligence scale and might struggle academically - do you have any thoughts/insight on this? Its so good to hear that the pastoral side of things is excellent - I think this is more important to me than exam results actually, as someone said above, your child will get the results they work for, looking at percentages is only a guideline.

Argh the pressure is too much - roll on 1st November when CAF will have been submitted and I won't be able to stress about making the wrong decision anymore!!
I wouldn’t worry about the intelligence thing at all...11 plus is one test on one day. My son failed the test quite spectacularly a few years ago but is at one of the grammars having gained a place on appeal. He’s in top set maths, gold medal maths challenge award and a high achiever in science subjects...it’s clearly in the right school for him I suspect your dd will do well wherever she goes....
Watermelon8

Post by Watermelon8 »

DC17C wrote:
smileandsparkle wrote:Cazien - yes transport is the biggest issue, although if its the only issue then I'll happily forgo the weekend wine to cover the costs :lol: I would have to decide whether to get the Bennetts (or I think theres an I-go that picks up near us too), or to catch the 94 - do you happen to know if it stops anywhere near Pates? Lets see what these open days bring - we will be looking out for different things this time so can hopefully make a more informed decision.

CKmum - thanks so much for your input, I don't know any other Pates parents to ask! I think (travel aside) it would be the better school for her in terms of it being mixed - she gets on much better with boys than girls and hates the girly cliquey thing going on at her primary school at the moment. However, I do worry with her being ranked just under PAN that she would be at the bottom of the intelligence scale and might struggle academically - do you have any thoughts/insight on this? Its so good to hear that the pastoral side of things is excellent - I think this is more important to me than exam results actually, as someone said above, your child will get the results they work for, looking at percentages is only a guideline.

Argh the pressure is too much - roll on 1st November when CAF will have been submitted and I won't be able to stress about making the wrong decision anymore!!
I wouldn’t worry about the intelligence thing at all...11 plus is one test on one day. My son failed the test quite spectacularly a few years ago but is at one of the grammars having gained a place on appeal. He’s in top set maths, gold medal maths challenge award and a high achiever in science subjects...it’s clearly in the right school for him I suspect your dd will do well wherever she goes....
I agree. The 11+ is a snapshot & not always an indicator of raw intelligence. The grammars are very good (well hsfg & Crypt I know) at supporting children who may be 'struggling'. For example, 5 maths sets at hsfg allows each girl to be supported or stretched for their ability :)
cazien

Post by cazien »

DC17C wrote:

I can echo that!

DS didn't reach qualifying score for Crypt on the "big" day, but has just achieved top grades in all his GCSE's, (very proud parents :lol: ). The effort they put in the next 5 years is what matters.