Go to navigation
It is currently Sat Apr 17, 2021 1:06 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: STRS or Pates?
PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 7:10 pm 

DS is in PAN for STRS and is outside for Pate's (but in a position that is very likely to gain him a place). Struggling to decide between the two schools.

DS will be only child going to Pate's from his primary school but will be amongst a group for STRS. Wondering about actual transition experience for Pate's as STRS seems to do more - with activity taster days before term starts; 3 day residential in first term with form group; and year group trip to Lake District later in Year 7. Views on pastoral care/transition in Year 7 for both schools would be useful.

Have a friend with child at STRS whose only reservation is that her child who is keen on sport, loves his games lessons, and of average ability in sport has not really got involved in many extra curricular sports activities - she says it may just be her son.
Would be great to hear input on extra curricular clubs at both schools.

Post subject: Re: STRS or Pates?
PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 8:11 am 

What you will get on here if you ask this question is parents with children at both schools telling you how satisfied they are with them. I would certainly say that for STR and so would many others; the same for Pates. What I will say is that the two schools are very, very different and also miles apart down the A40. I think only you and your family can decide which of these 2 very different establishments would suit your son better - asking a bunch of total strangers on here won't in any way address the things which are important to you. I would just say that the induction thing should not be a factor in your thinking imho - they all get inducted one way or another and by the end of Y7 no one is still talking about the induction trips.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 9:12 am 

We are in the same boat cheltdragonfly we love both schools. I agree about the induction, STRS seem to have that sussed - but Amber is right that is a temporary situation. My daughter is at HSFG which in many ways leans me to sending my son to STRS and I like the size and feel of the school. But Pate's is nearer - and cheaper - to get to. It's a good situation to be in but difficult to know which one to put first! Good luck.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 12:59 pm 

Hi there!
We are also in a similar situation - DS in with a chance of getting into Pates (he's outside the PAN) which is very easy for him to get to (he can walk) as opposed to him getting the bus to STR. I didn't realise that about the induction at STR so it's good to hear that.
We have visited both this week. We feel he'd be very happy at either but he showed a strong preference to STR. He likes the idea of being at a boys school and can see himself there more. He was totally put off / filled with horror by the idea of taking part in a production at Pates. He hates any kind of drama / musical production and this is his main reason for not liking Pates. He would also be the only one going there from his primary school and his friends are important to him (but in reality there will only be one or two others going to STR)
We are therefore undecided about the CAF form. I appreciate this is a great dilemma to have and ultimately we are thrilled that he will be at one or the other.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 1:09 pm 

Hard choice Kaybee. One thing I do know (have/had kids at both) is that Pates is very big on things like House Music and House Drama and then 'House officials' by sixth form as well as the main productions. You either love that or you don't - for many children and their parents it is part of the appeal. Being able to walk to school is a really good thing these days. Friends mix up anyway after a year or two and it is only at the very beginning that that matters. Though later on having local friends is handy for lifts to things, coming back at all hours from parties etc!

Declaration of Interest: I am heavily biased towards Tommies in case you are new and don't know. But I think this is quite a balanced post for me!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 1:22 pm 

Thank you Amber. Perhaps I am placing too much emphasis on transition process...something to think about.

Thank you too Debims - feels better knowing I'm not the only one wrestling with this decision. We are about same distance from each school so does not have a bearing for us. Wishing you good luck too, whatever you decide!

Did anyone find out any more about how the house system will work next year at Tommies, with adding 30 more boys to year group?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 1:25 pm 

Amber wrote:
Hard choice Kaybee. One thing I do know (have/had kids at both) is that Pates is very big on things like House Music and House Drama and then 'House officials' by sixth form as well as the main productions. You either love that or you don't - for many children and their parents it is part of the appeal. Being able to walk to school is a really good thing these days. Friends mix up anyway after a year or two and it is only at the very beginning that that matters. Though later on having local friends is handy for lifts to things, coming back at all hours from parties etc!

Declaration of Interest: I am heavily biased towards Tommies in case you are new and don't know. But I think this is quite a balanced post for me!

Thanks so much Amber! Really appreciate you taking time to reply x

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 1:37 pm 

Kaybee wrote:
Hi there!
We are also in a similar situation - DS in with a chance of getting into Pates (he's outside the PAN) which is very easy for him to get to (he can walk) as opposed to him getting the bus to STR. I didn't realise that about the induction at STR so it's good to hear that.
We have visited both this week. We feel he'd be very happy at either but he showed a strong preference to STR. He likes the idea of being at a boys school and can see himself there more. He was totally put off / filled with horror by the idea of taking part in a production at Pates. He hates any kind of drama / musical production and this is his main reason for not liking Pates. He would also be the only one going there from his primary school and his friends are important to him (but in reality there will only be one or two others going to STR)
We are therefore undecided about the CAF form. I appreciate this is a great dilemma to have and ultimately we are thrilled that he will be at one or the other.

Yes, the Y8's we had showing us round at STR said that they felt the induction day where they did 'problem solving', and the residential trip to Stratford in the first term really helped them settle in quickly and get to know their form group. They were so positive and it left a lasting impression. My son is torn though, because he also loves all the outdoor education activities, rifle shooting etc. that is offered by Pate's.

Good luck with your decision!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 4:26 pm 

All I can say is I feel very privileged for my DS to be at Tommies. The individual care and pastoral support he has received is second to none. They are treated as mature people and I feel it will prepare him well for manhood. I also love the fact that unlike my other DC he doesn’t get loaded up with homework at holiday times which we really appreciate. They work hard all term, very hard, but time off is just as precious. I feel he is driven but not hot housed which is a regular complaint I hear of grammars.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 7:47 pm 

Stressed?Moi? wrote:
All I can say is I feel very privileged for my DS to be at Tommies. The individual care and pastoral support he has received is second to none. They are treated as mature people and I feel it will prepare him well for manhood. I also love the fact that unlike my other DC he doesn’t get loaded up with homework at holiday times which we really appreciate. They work hard all term, very hard, but time off is just as precious. I feel he is driven but not hot housed which is a regular complaint I hear of grammars.

That sounds like a sensible approach with homework from STRS. I certainly have always had a pang of disappointment when DC arrive home with 'holiday assignments' from primary school! Good to hear personal recommendations about care and support.

Thank you for taking the time to respond.