Tommies

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
streathammum

Re: Tommies

Post by streathammum »

Stressed?Moi? wrote:Personally everyone I know who is anti grammar schools has either not passed the test or their child hasn’t.
I didn't sit it (child of the 70s) and my son passed all the tests he sat. I'm still anti.
Stressed?Moi? wrote:The way these types of articles read you would think the schools are actively picking and choosing the areas their pupils come from. Unlike other state schools, they can’t; if you qualify you are in.
Many grammar schools combine academic selection with catchment or distance criteria. The schools that don't have chosen to be 'superselective' and to take only the highest academic achievers, rather than prioritising people who live closer to the school.
Stressed?Moi?

Post by Stressed?Moi? »

streathammum wrote:
Stressed?Moi? wrote:Personally everyone I know who is anti grammar schools has either not passed the test or their child hasn’t.
I didn't sit it (child of the 70s) and my son passed all the tests he sat. I'm still anti.

You'll notice I said "personally everyone I know". I don't know you so couldn't include you in my statement.
Stressed?Moi? wrote:The way these types of articles read you would think the schools are actively picking and choosing the areas their pupils come from. Unlike other state schools, they can’t; if you qualify you are in.
Many grammar schools combine academic selection with catchment or distance criteria. The schools that don't have chosen to be 'superselective' and to take only the highest academic achievers, rather than prioritising people who live closer to the school.
Not sure of the point. "many grammars" do, but conversely some don't. It's the school's prerogative surely.

Also, Amber's post on the previous page (which is a direct quote from a message from Tommie's headmaster) outlines what the school is trying to do to be inclusive.

........................."You may have seen in the local press the headline that “More Swindon boys than city lads started at Gloucester grammar school in September”. Whilst we are committed to preserving our status as an outstanding Grammar School serving children and families from Gloucester City, Gloucestershire and beyond, I thought parents might be interested to know that 43% of our pupils are from Gloucester and its immediate environs (GL1-4), and 6% are from Swindon postcode areas. There are year-on-year variations, but there has been little discernible change in this ratio over the medium to long term.

We currently have a programme to encourage applications to sit the test from primary schools in Gloucestershire which serve communities with higher than average levels of deprivation. If you wish to find out more please contact (email address of staff member given)"..................

Still people aren't happy. I just don't get it. I also can't comprehend why someone who is clearly so anti-grammar school education would choose to send their child to one. I'm assuming you have because you are on a grammar school forum. Otherwise, I'm not sure why it would be of interest to anyone who doesn't.
streathammum

Post by streathammum »

Stressed?Moi? wrote:Not sure of the point. "many grammars" do, but conversely some don't. It's the school's prerogative surely.
You said "you would think the schools are actively picking and choosing the areas their pupils come from. Unlike other state schools, they can’t; if you qualify you are in." I said that it's not true - that if they wanted, they could choose which areas their children come from. You now seem to be agreeing with me, by suggesting that it's the school's prerogative whether or not they have a catchment policy. So that's good.
Last edited by streathammum on Mon Nov 06, 2017 4:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

Please can posters refrain from personal attacks. Remember that what you have written may not be read as you may have intended. This post is going off topic. Please respect others and get back to Tommie’s.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Stressed?Moi? wrote: .. I'm assuming you have because you are on a grammar school forum.
I thought this was an 11+ forum not a GS forum - does it stop people who are anti-GS being on here? No, of course not.
I'm on here to help people with school-related things beyond 11+ ...
DC17C

Post by DC17C »

The idea that you’d end up with less able children in the class if limited to a more local cohort is questionable......my own son is a case in point as one who failed the test miserably but has thrived during his time as there was ample other evidence of his capabilities to support an appeal.....and now in yr 11 you would not pick him out as a grammar test failure. I supported another boy from DS’s class at primary whose mum was not sure what to do about the test and he passed the test and is also thriving....many local children who could do very well just don’t get the support to get a high enough score...
Skip

Post by Skip »

I can totally understand why parents from other counties choose to send the child to a school in another county if they feel that's the best school for their child. After all the county lines are an arbitrary boundary. I have a child at a grammar in the same county I live in but it's not their nearest school or nearest grammar. However it is, in my child's (and my) opinion, the best school for them that they can reasonably travel to. In a perfect world all kids would be in a learning environment that's best for them and it would be a level playing field (and it wouldn't all be about academic education). Some people can afford private school fees, some can afford an expensive house in an area with a great comp, some will give their kids extra support themselves, some kids will excel no matter where they go. I just make the best decisions I can in the educational system we have. Would I change how grammars select? Yes like most of us would I expect. For example it would be great if the school could go into some primaries in more deprived area's and offer places to those who are academically suited but perhaps won't do so well in the test for other social reasons. But let's not get defensive or judge other motives etc because we all want the best for our kids at the end of the day.