Progress 8 and the performance table

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
chococandy16

Progress 8 and the performance table

Post by chococandy16 »

Hi all,

This is for those(like me) requiring more clarification on what progress 8 is all about and its impact on DC progress and school rankings.

Found an interesting article on how secondary schools progress 8 rankings are calculated in the link below;

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.tes. ... work%3famp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Looks like schools having exceptionally bright children will need to make them "over exceptional" after 5 years to be awarded above average progress.

Good that children will not be left to coast but a child having a ks2 score of 140 is expected to achieve a 9 at GCSE level, higher than 9 is awarded a positive progress 8.

It will be interesting to see how this unfolds in the next 5-7 years
Guest55

Re: Progress 8 and the performance table

Post by Guest55 »

You can't get a KS2 of 140 ...
Amber

Post by Amber »

Another day, another data set.

Measure what we value or value what we measure? (Biesta)
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Actually much of that TES article is misleading. Progress has been a key measure since Ofsted changed in September 2012; this is not new. RAISE on line also had progress matrices which were used to judge schools.

Here is the detail on Progress 8:
https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... ce-measure" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It will be changed in a couple of years to reflect the new KS2 tests but Progress 8 already uses 'fine' K2 levels.

Like any measure it is flawed - for example, a school is penalised if it has students taking fewer than 8 GCSEs even if these students are unwell or long-term sick.
chococandy16

Post by chococandy16 »

Guest55 wrote:You can't get a KS2 of 140 ...
Yes you can based on the results sent to some of the parents of a Worcestershire school at the end of year 6 in 16/17 session.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Sorry the school then has not reported correctly the maximum scaled score is 120.

"Range of scaled scores

The range of scaled scores available for each KS2 test is the same as 2016 and is intended to stay the same in future years. 80 is the lowest scaled score that can be awarded and 120 is the highest scaled score.

Pupils scoring at least a scaled score of 100 will have met the expected standard of the test."

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/scaled-scor ... ey-stage-2" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Stressed?Moi?

Post by Stressed?Moi? »

I'm dubious about this performance table to be honest. My dd got all A's and B's at GCSE but her current education provider, without knowing her at all, have given her a B to C "prediction". We can't establish on what basis this is, as in the pre-start work she achieved a faultless mark of B. When she queried it, her teacher said they don't give out A's on pre-start work!! Throughout all of her tests she's only received one B; the rest have been A's. The cynic in me wonders if pupils are deliberately marked down at the beginning to show a very good progression. To say I'm weary of our education system would be an understatement.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Stressed?Moi? wrote:I'm dubious about this performance table to be honest. My dd got all A's and B's at GCSE but her current education provider, without knowing her at all, have given her a B to C "prediction". We can't establish on what basis this is, as in the pre-start work she achieved a faultless mark of B. When she queried it, her teacher said they don't give out A's on pre-start work!! Throughout all of her tests she's only received one B; the rest have been A's. The cynic in me wonders if pupils are deliberately marked down at the beginning to show a very good progression. To say I'm weary of our education system would be an understatement.
They have proably used something like ALIS which 'predicts' target A level grades from average GCSE grades achieved. We found it too low and not helpful as some students are much stronger in certain GCSEs so their average grade could easily be lower than the average of the subjects they were studying further at A level.
Saying that a GCSE grade A does not imply a good chance of an A level grade A ...

However, this is nothing to do with Progress 8 which is a 'measure' of Progress from KS2.