Sports provision at the grammars that take girls

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Skip

Sports provision at the grammars that take girls

Post by Skip »

Hi All, please can those in the know tell me the sports provision at the girls / mixed schools? I have a DD who loves the traditional boys sports esp cricket and football and would like to know if she will be able to play these (preferably as part of the curriculum rather than a club) if she goes to a grammar?
cazien

Re: Sports provision at the grammars that take girls

Post by cazien »

Ribston website states:-

"At Key Stage 3 the activities on offer include Netball, Hockey, Health Related Fitness, Swimming, Outdoor and Adventurous Activities, Football, Rugby, Gymnastics, Trampolining, Badminton, Basketball, Tennis, Rounders and Athletics. (these may vary per Year group)".

DD (now in yr8) has so far not participated in Football, Rugby, Badminton or Trampolining that I am aware of in normal PE lessons .
Amber

Post by Amber »

DD is a keen cricketer and when she was at Pates was aware of girls' cricket for the younger years. It was very poorly attended though and I think they stopped it, though it may have started again. DD used to play for a boys' team and girls can play down by at least one age group there. When she is back from university she still plays for a women's team locally.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Skip wrote:Hi All, please can those in the know tell me the sports provision at the girls / mixed schools? I have a DD who loves the traditional boys sports esp cricket and football and would like to know if she will be able to play these (preferably as part of the curriculum rather than a club) if she goes to a grammar?
If she is really keen on cricket them she should consider joining a local cricket club. Coaching tends to be better and the season will be longer than school. She could get selected for county or other representative squads.
http://www.gloucestershirecricketboard. ... ket/girls/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
can'tthinkofone

Post by can'tthinkofone »

I have two girls at HSFG (year 7 and 11). Both are sporty and do activities outside of school.

DD2 Year 7 plays county cricket and until recently county football. Tennis and recently hockey.
DD1 Year 11 also plays cricket (county development), does rowing and did synchronised swimming until last year.

There was a lunchtime cricket club that DD1 attended a few years back. A couple of matches were planned with Kings but didn't go ahead due to weather. Although she did moan the club was run by 6th form boys that don't know how to play cricket :lol: .

The younger one does hockey club after school and netball and rugby clubs at lunchtime. A teacher is currently trying to set up a football club too. As she too favours traditional boys sports (and can generally be a bit of a tom boy) I did worry about her going to a girls school but she is loving it and has made lots of friends. She is enjoying the sports on offer too.

The curriculum does still seem to be netball, hockey, gymnastics, tennis, rounders, athletics but my daughters are happy with this and play their other sports outside of school. There seems to be a good variety of sports on offer whether in lessons or through clubs.

My DD2 actually went to a MIXED middle school for year 6 (long story). In a mixed environment it did sometimes seem that there was more emphasis on the boys sports/teams. However she did netball and girls football clubs and teams. They did submit a girls cricket team to an indoor comp but that was with no training as they suddenly realised they actually had a few girls who played outside of school. She also got asked to play in the boys cricket team for the year above and it only took them 3 permission letters later to realise they kept asking permission for my son to attend :roll: .

I don't think a mixed environment is better for girls sport - in fact I would say the opposite. (This is just my feeling - I have no facts to back this up).

Not sure where you are based but if you are looking for a cricket club with a good girls set-up then drop me a message.
DC17C

Post by DC17C »

With Crypt going from being a boys only in yrs7-11 to fully co-ed next year I’d imagine they would be pretty enlightened about providing cricket and football for the girls that want to play.
RedVelvet

Post by RedVelvet »

Lots of sports at Stroud and cricket was part of the curriculum this summer.

Does she play for a club? If you need I know a couple of clubs that have very active girls teams. Message me if you to.
AndBreathe

Post by AndBreathe »

Stroud High School has 'football boots' listed as an essential item on the PE uniform list...
Skip

Post by Skip »

Thanks all for your comments. I'm suspecting a girls school would be better as likely to have wider range of sports she can be involved in especially the traditional boys ones. Not sure she'll be happy seeing the boys going off to do football and rugby while she has to go and do netball! She already does the other sports outside of school but secondary is more demanding so the more she can do as part of school the better for us. SHS looks promising and not too far.
HappiestDays

Post by HappiestDays »

I think this is such an important discussion. DD will go to either Pates or Crypt next year. In a mixed school I want my DD to have equal access to all the sports in the curriculum, and I assume the law supports this. From what people have posted, there is some progress to make access equal, so I say keep pushing for things to be brought up to scratch, don't just put up with it. I asked about it on every open day, at comps and grammars, and didn't get one answer the same. Notably Thomas Keble school gave strong impression access was pretty much equal, except some aspects of rugby I think. I'm quite keen that they also play some sport together, and mixed handball seems to be offered in some of the schools, never played it myself though so not sure exactly what that is!?
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now