Sixth Forms

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

MedievalBabe

Re: Sixth Forms

Post by MedievalBabe »

We are going through the same for DS. We have been to Balcarras and HSFG already, he is not interested in Pates and we will be going to STR next week. He is currently at STR and it was really his main choice until last weeks visit to HSFG where one teacher just made a huge impression on him. Afterwards he spoke to others he knows, including his sister about this teacher and now he just doesn't know.

I do have a belief that a teacher can really make a school and a subject.
can'tthinkofone

Post by can'tthinkofone »

Bemily wrote:Hi

we are currently deciding as well. It's very hard! Dd is at Ribston.
We couldn't go to the HSFG evening - would yoy mind telling me a bit more what was good/not good? By pm if you like!
Maybe I'm being harsh - Maybe my expectations were too high. I think I was expecting an open evening like they have for the main school - engaging and lively.

As she is already there maybe we didn't get the full sales pitch!

She is happy and doing well there and her sister has just started in year 7 so I do like the school and have been pleased with it so far.

If I cut to the chase some of the students just didn't seem engaged. Group of boys bottle flipping whilst we were trying to talk to one teacher and she didn't pull them up on their behaviour. Students just sat round a table in science labs -(although the science teacher was really good when she spoke to us about her subject). Maybe I'm just not used to teenage boys!!!

DD1 is still keen to stay at HSFG - I just want to make sure we have checked out her options - I think it is me having the doubts and not her.

If you want to PM anything specific then I am happy to answer.
medievalbabe
A teacher does make a subject - you are right - wonder if I can guess which teacher ???
cazien

Post by cazien »

can'tthinkofone wrote:
It does seem quite tight in terms of viewing and deciding - only just got over mocks and results - maybe should have gone last year :?

Did your sons look at other sixth forms ? Are they glad they stayed?

Neither of my sons wanted to look at any other schools, they both were predicted high grades in all subjects and with the excellent advice from the teachers were able to choose the A-levels they are now studying. The teachers do make a school and subject, which is why they wanted to stay - along with the extra curriculum activities, enrichment opportunities and the knowledge that teachers support and advice on school work, university courses/choices etc is available outside of school hours. Crypt just "suited" them and they have not regretted staying.
MedievalBabe

Post by MedievalBabe »

can'tthinkofone wrote: A teacher does make a subject - you are right - wonder if I can guess which teacher ???
Well I can give you some more clues as we only spoke to maths, ICT and physics it should whittle down the choices.

All of the boys at STR have been told to have a back up and so to look elsewhere, but also there is an advantage of getting them to realise what they already have.
Bemily

Post by Bemily »

Anyone have any thoughts on Pate's after tonight?
madi06

Post by madi06 »

Bemily wrote:Anyone have any thoughts on Pate's after tonight?
My DD was very impressed, She spoke to Maths, Geography and Chemistry teachers as these are 3 of 4 choices for A levls. Teachers were very informative.

Does anyone know how many externals they are planning to take? I thought it was 80, but some said its same as internals making it all together 240.
DC17C

Post by DC17C »

MedievalBabe wrote:
can'tthinkofone wrote: A teacher does make a subject - you are right - wonder if I can guess which teacher ???
Well I can give you some more clues as we only spoke to maths, ICT and physics it should whittle down the choices.

All of the boys at STR have been told to have a back up and so to look elsewhere, but also there is an advantage of getting them to realise what they already have.
As a mum with one dd making sixth form selections last year and made the move...and another in the pipeline...doing GCSEs this summer I thought Id add my perspective....

Yes I think it could be quite easy to stay at a school where one has had a good experience...I also believe it is important that young people start to look around at the options they have and make choices for themselves with support from parents.

In the next couple of years they have to make big decisions about what they want to do in the future and starting out with actively choosing a sixth form rather than just opting for what they know and are comfortable with is a good start.
Some may opt to move and regret it within a few weeks...and return to their familiar sixth form, some will change options once they start a level courses....being able to make such decisions is important...they learn much about being able to make mistakes, change their minds and perhaps they learn a little about to manage things without it being a disaster....
Sometimes we have to let our young people try things out and work it out for themselves...we parents just have to support, feedback our own experiences,hang on for the ride..... and help them recover if things don’t go quite to plan first time round.
Amber

Post by Amber »

DC17C wrote:Yes I think it could be quite easy to stay at a school where one has had a good experience...I also believe it is important that young people start to look around at the options they have and make choices for themselves with support from parents.

In the next couple of years they have to make big decisions about what they want to do in the future and starting out with actively choosing a sixth form rather than just opting for what they know and are comfortable with is a good start.
Some may opt to move and regret it within a few weeks...and return to their familiar sixth form, some will change options once they start a level courses....being able to make such decisions is important...they learn much about being able to make mistakes, change their minds and perhaps they learn a little about to manage things without it being a disaster....
Sometimes we have to let our young people try things out and work it out for themselves...we parents just have to support, feedback our own experiences,hang on for the ride..... and help them recover if things don’t go quite to plan first time round.
+1
Having watched DC after DC (not mine!) drop out of university, I cannot stress strongly enough that parents need to be gradually weaning children off the idea of others deciding for them and onto making their own decisions and to taking responsibility for themselves. The move to sixth form is the first time they can really do this (personally I feel parents should take the decision at 10 as to where the child goes) and with parents to catch them if they fall it is the ideal time. This would help to make less likely some of the catastrophic forays into the wrong university, the wrong course or just the wrong time which I have witnessed over the last few years and which take a toll on all concerned.
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

With the slight caveat that if someone chose to leave our 6th form to go elsewhere and then changed their mind, coming back would not be an option as it would already be full, or if there were by some small miracle a space, the chances of their being spaces in, and the timetable fitting their preferred A level choices, would be super slim. (The timetable is set according to the choices of the kids who accept their place on GCSE results day, rather than kids having to choose from blocks.)
DC17C

Post by DC17C »

kenyancowgirl wrote:With the slight caveat that if someone chose to leave our 6th form to go elsewhere and then changed their mind, coming back would not be an option as it would already be full, or if there were by some small miracle a space, the chances of their being spaces in, and the timetable fitting their preferred A level choices, would be super slim. (The timetable is set according to the choices of the kids who accept their place on GCSE results day, rather than kids having to choose from blocks.)
Yes another good point ...some of the sixth forms are more popular and selective than others and that again is something to be taken into consideration and staying put can be the right option. It is probably more important that young people are given some opportunity to explore options, discuss pros and cons and make an active choice rather than just stay on at their own sixth form.
This all comes from reflecting on my experience with my dd....I fully expected my dd to stay at the sixth form where she had spent to past 5 years. It was her teachers telling her to look around at other sixth forms and they were wise to tell to do so and am grateful to them for this advice.
Last edited by DC17C on Wed Jan 24, 2018 12:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.