Y6's interested in Crypt.

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
stroudydad

Re: Y6's interested in Crypt.

Post by stroudydad »

ToadMum wrote:I'm intrigued as to why 300 more boys than girls would have sat the test (presumably both physically in county and those shut oi elsewhere but asking to share with one or more Gloucestershire grammar schools)? Surely it is parents of girls who would reckon that their DC had a better chance this year, with one of the three boys-only schools going co-ed? Was this birth cohort very skewed?

Who knows what the reason is, I assume a reasonable number of students registered but didn't actually sit it? (I certainly know of 2) So that would lower the actual figure
cazien

Post by cazien »

stroudydad wrote:
ToadMum wrote:I'm intrigued as to why 300 more boys than girls would have sat the test (presumably both physically in county and those shut oi elsewhere but asking to share with one or more Gloucestershire grammar schools)? Surely it is parents of girls who would reckon that their DC had a better chance this year, with one of the three boys-only schools going co-ed? Was this birth cohort very skewed?

Who knows what the reason is, I assume a reasonable number of students registered but didn't actually sit it? (I certainly know of 2) So that would lower the actual figure
I guess at the time of registering for the test, nobody knows what ratio of boys to girls have applied. This info is only released when the results are issued. Pates has for many years been boy heavy, and the boys grammars have increased PAN's, whereas Ribston have not increased PAN. I appreciate Crypt going co-ed has effectively decreased boy places, but if boys are ranked higher than girls......
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

cazien wrote:

I guess at the time of registering for the test, nobody knows what ratio of boys to girls have applied. This info is only released when the results are issued. Pates has for many years been boy heavy, and the boys grammars have increased PAN's, whereas Ribston have not increased PAN. I appreciate Crypt going co-ed has effectively decreased boy places, but if boys are ranked higher than girls......
But the email quoted sounds like registrations, not applicants?
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
FluffyCat

Post by FluffyCat »

Watermelon8 wrote:Friends who just did no prep on moral grounds with their dcs didn’t stand a chance sadly as their bright children did not achieve qualifying scores. Just weren’t up to speed time management wise, had little experience of actual papers & techniques so at a major disadvantage as just ran out of time & left lots blank. They are now scraping to pay for indie fees (despite academic scholarships) :(
Then they should appeal on non-qualification grounds with their academic evidence of fantastic CAT scores and predicted or actual SAT scores. They and the appeal panel will be able to access the children's answer sheets which will show that it was poor time management that led to the non-qualification and that the answers they did complete are correct. They will be able to argue the case that they did no preparation at all (not even buy the papers from a high street store and look over them) and no tutoring (not even from mum/dad/family friend) which led to the timing issues.
FFF1-8

Post by FFF1-8 »

Watermelon8 wrote:

Friends who just did no prep on moral grounds with their dcs didn’t stand a chance sadly as their bright children did not achieve qualifying scores. Just weren’t up to speed time management wise, had little experience of actual papers & techniques so at a major disadvantage as just ran out of time & left lots blank. They are now scraping to pay for indie fees (despite academic scholarships) :(

Then they should appeal on non-qualification grounds with their academic evidence of fantastic CAT scores and predicted or actual SAT scores. They and the appeal panel will be able to access the children's answer sheets which will show that it was poor time management that led to the non-qualification and that the answers they did complete are correct. They will be able to argue the case that they did no preparation at all (not even buy the papers from a high street store and look over them) and no tutoring (not even from mum/dad/family friend) which led to the timing issues.

Absolutely agree - panels I have sat on have upheld many appeals in this situation - providing the academic evidence stacked up.
icantthinkofagoodone

Post by icantthinkofagoodone »

FFF1-8 wrote:

Watermelon8 wrote:

Friends who just did no prep on moral grounds with their dcs didn’t stand a chance sadly as their bright children did not achieve qualifying scores. Just weren’t up to speed time management wise, had little experience of actual papers & techniques so at a major disadvantage as just ran out of time & left lots blank. They are now scraping to pay for indie fees (despite academic scholarships) :(

Absolutely agree - panels I have sat on have upheld many appeals in this situation - providing the academic evidence stacked up.
However - neither the schools or the panel will have access to the answer sheets. All they are given is the number of questions attempted, and of these, the number that are correct.
RayRay

Post by RayRay »

I agree with the comments about how snobby people are about choosing Crypt rather than one of the “better” schools. Our daughter qualified in PAN for all the eligible schools and Crypt was our first choice. I assume Crypts information evenings are an attempt to manage a large number of expected appeals and enquirys from disappointed applicants rather than fill untaken places.
Kaybee

Post by Kaybee »

I'm afraid I've heard they definitely have lots of unallocated places (a friend called them) It sounds like they just didn't qualify enough children which could be good news for all of those that want Crypt and don't get a place offered tomorrow.
Amber

Post by Amber »

RayRay wrote: I assume Crypts information evenings are an attempt to manage a large number of expected appeals and enquirys from disappointed applicants rather than fill untaken places.
Kaybee wrote:I'm afraid I've heard they definitely have lots of unallocated places (a friend called them) It sounds like they just didn't qualify enough children which could be good news for all of those that want Crypt and don't get a place offered tomorrow.
I think this is more or less the same thing, isn't it? They didn't deem enough children qualified (because they overestimated demand) and now they have lots of disappointed people (not applicants, but those whose children took the test and didn't qualify for Crypt) who will end up appealing. It is a tiny bit surprising that they miscalculated so dramatically, if this turns out to be true. I know there are fairly tight algorithms the schools use to determine where to cut off the qualification scores. It would be odd if Crypt thought that the mere addition of girls to the mix was suddenly going to make them more popular than all of the other schools. What used to happen was that people who put STR first would have Crypt as a back up and Crypt would fill places that way, as well as from the pool of those who missed the STR score or just preferred Crypt. Because they decided to cut off higher this year, that can't happen so their traditional boy market has not been deemed qualified, or has qualified for STR but won't make the cut if they are oversubscribed. It will be very interesting to see how this pans (sic) out over the next few weeks and also what happens next year.
stroudydad

Post by stroudydad »

None of this is instilling confidence that DS Will get a place at Marling :shock:
Tomorrow is proving to possibly be the day from ****,
I have a horrific job to do at work, it's allocation day,and also the day the Arkwright scholarships announce who's selected for interview.. :roll:
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now