Y6's interested in Crypt.

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

stroudydad

Re: Y6's interested in Crypt.

Post by stroudydad »

Actually, when you consider the number of takers, with regards to the number of places, Amber is right... it's about a 1 in 2.3 chance. I wish lottery odds were that good.
Watermelon8

Post by Watermelon8 »

stroudydad wrote:Actually, when you consider the number of takers, with regards to the number of places, Amber is right... it's about a 1 in 2.3 chance. I wish lottery odds were that good.
It may be good odds to get ‘a’ place but certainly not to get the place you want this year!
Lysander

Post by Lysander »

Stroudydad - apologies - my post was misleading. I haven't been to a meeting, I came to that conclusion from reading the FAQs on the crypt website:

Frequently Asked Questions :

I have received my child’s offer of a place, which was my first choice, however I was confused about the rankings and would like my child to be considered for The Crypt School – is this possible?

My son / daughter qualified for The Crypt School but has got a place at another school, but would prefer to go to Crypt – can we change our mind?

When the Local Authority offer a place to your child, there is an option to go on The Crypt School’s waiting list. Return the form to the Local Authority by Thursday 8th March, accepting the place your child has been allocated, and request to go on The Crypt School’s waiting list

Will there be a good mix of boys and girls?
At the moment, we do not have that information to be able to share with you, but on 1st March we will have a complete list of the allocations, so please do contact us then.

Are there waiting lists for schools?
There are, and you can request your child go on a waiting list, see above

There were so many people at the Open Days I thought it would be more difficult to get in – is this the case?
No, parents need to remember that there is approx. 1020 grammar school places, which is spread across the 7 grammar schools. Even if your child’s rank seems low, it isn’t out of the approx. 1800 who shared their scores with The Crypt.

My child’s primary school doesn’t seem to know much about the 11+ results, where can I get advice?
Come to Choose the Crypt informal talk on 1st, 2nd and 5th March at 10.00 a.m. and 4.00 p.m. Please contact the School for more details.

My child did not sit the entrance test in September, is there still a chance to sit it?

As above – once a request is given to go on a The Crypt School’s waiting list, Crypt is notified, and if your child has not sat the test, information will be given to parents on how to register for the test, the date and venue, etc.

I didn’t share my child’s scores with other grammar schools, is it possible to now do this?

As above – once a request is given to go on The Crypt School’s waiting list, we are notified and can request scores from the school where your child sat the test. If their score is above our qualifying standard, they will be added to all those who have shared scores, or sat the test, in rank order. If The Crypt has places available, they will be offered in rank order.

Can I appeal as my child was not offered a place?

If they have the qualifying standard, you can request for them to go on The Crypt School waiting list.
If they have not got the qualifying standard, you can appeal.

My child did not get the required ranking for a grammar school, how do I go about appealing for a place.

Closing date for Appeals –27th April. At the end of February, The Crypt School’s website will have details about how to appeal, and all forms which need to be completed.
stroudydad

Post by stroudydad »

Watermelon8 wrote:
stroudydad wrote:Actually, when you consider the number of takers, with regards to the number of places, Amber is right... it's about a 1 in 2.3 chance. I wish lottery odds were that good.
It may be good odds to get ‘a’ place but certainly not to get the place you want this year!
That wasn't what Amber said..
Amber

Post by Amber »

What I actually said was that it is not that hard to qualify for a place once you are in the exam, but whether it is a place at the school your parents hoped for is another matter. And as Stroudydad says, the odds on 'passing' once you have entered are very good, around 50-50. In Bucks, for example, the odds are much lower than that, around 70-30. Knowing clever children from good schools who didn't qualify does not change those odds.
Watermelon8 wrote:Why are you ‘only’ going to Crypt!’....er, because it’s a great sch & we prefer it - but that’s a whole different post!! The snobbery is ridiculous )
There are at least 5 others who really wanted Crypt but only got Marling & others who got nothing
Erm, by the use of the word 'only' there (my emphasis) aren't you doing exactly what you accuse these other boys of and looking down on those who are going to Marling?
MountainDweller

Post by MountainDweller »

Watermelon8 wrote:
I find the comment that it’s not difficult to qualify for Glos grammars quite bizarre. My children go to a good local state primary where a good number do pass but there are many, many disappointed children every year. Always surprises me how many bright, local children in ‘top set’ do not qualify & are devastated.[/quote]

I completely agree with you Watermelon. We know quite a few children who very surprisingly didn't qualify and it seemed to be a tough year (especially for boys?)[/quote]

Yes!! My son has come in for major stick at school from the other high passing boys who qualified for Pates/Tommies/Crypt because he’s picked Crypt (‘why haven’t you picked the best schools? Why are you ‘only’ going to Crypt!’....er, because it’s a great sch & we prefer it - but that’s a whole different post!! The snobbery is ridiculous :roll: )
There are at least 5 others who really wanted Crypt but only got Marling & others who got nothing. They’re all bright....it’s heartbreaking to see :( & certainly not ‘easy’ to get a place![/quote]

I’m hoping those 5 boys have opted not to go to Marling! What is so frustrating about this year is the fact the boys who may have actually wanted Crypt but didn’t ‘qualify’ this year (which is back to the fact Crypt should’ve ranked to 800+) will be hiking over from Gloucester each day to Marling. Those that qualified for Marling but have slipped down the list because of the hikers won’t get a space despite being qualified and living on the doorstep (and who could potentially go on the WL for Crypt, get a space and then be hiking over to Gloucester each day!).

Any other year and my DS would’ve been fine and it would’ve all been sorted on the 1st March. This year I suspect we’ll still be talking about it in two months time. :? :roll:
Watermelon8

Post by Watermelon8 »

Amber wrote:What I actually said was that it is not that hard to qualify for a place once you are in the exam, but whether it is a place at the school your parents hoped for is another matter. And as Stroudydad says, the odds on 'passing' once you have entered are very good, around 50-50. In Bucks, for example, the odds are much lower than that, around 70-30. Knowing clever children from good schools who didn't qualify does not change those odds.
Watermelon8 wrote:Why are you ‘only’ going to Crypt!’....er, because it’s a great sch & we prefer it - but that’s a whole different post!! The snobbery is ridiculous )
There are at least 5 others who really wanted Crypt but only got Marling & others who got nothing
Erm, by the use of the word 'only' there (my emphasis) aren't you doing exactly what you accuse these other boys of and looking down on those who are going to Marling?
I’ve never been round Marling! but have heard it’s a good school though so absolutely no predjudice in my comment!!! Other boys (presumably echoing their parents) have belittled my so for ‘only’ choosing Crypt, I was simply commenting on what we’d been through. Their words, not mine!!?
Watermelon8

Post by Watermelon8 »

MountainDweller wrote:
Watermelon8 wrote:
I find the comment that it’s not difficult to qualify for Glos grammars quite bizarre. My children go to a good local state primary where a good number do pass but there are many, many disappointed children every year. Always surprises me how many bright, local children in ‘top set’ do not qualify & are devastated.

I completely agree with you Watermelon. We know quite a few children who very surprisingly didn't qualify and it seemed to be a tough year (especially for boys?)[/quote]

Yes!! My son has come in for major stick at school from the other high passing boys who qualified for Pates/Tommies/Crypt because he’s picked Crypt (‘why haven’t you picked the best schools? Why are you ‘only’ going to Crypt!’....er, because it’s a great sch & we prefer it - but that’s a whole different post!! The snobbery is ridiculous :roll: )
There are at least 5 others who really wanted Crypt but only got Marling & others who got nothing. They’re all bright....it’s heartbreaking to see :( & certainly not ‘easy’ to get a place![/quote]

I’m hoping those 5 boys have opted not to go to Marling! What is so frustrating about this year is the fact the boys who may have actually wanted Crypt but didn’t ‘qualify’ this year (which is back to the fact Crypt should’ve ranked to 800+) will be hiking over from Gloucester each day to Marling. Those that qualified for Marling but have slipped down the list because of the hikers won’t get a space despite being qualified and living on the doorstep (and who could potentially go on the WL for Crypt, get a space and then be hiking over to Gloucester each day!).

Any other year and my DS would’ve been fine and it would’ve all been sorted on the 1st March. This year I suspect we’ll still be talking about it in two months time. :? :roll:[/quote]

Yes, I agree! Children are going to be travelling all over :( I wish Crypt had ranked lower as the 5 boys I know really like Marling but don’t ideally want to catch a train to school everyday so wanted Crypt but can’t appeal as are outside the 600.
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

Watermelon8 wrote:
Amber wrote:What I actually said was that it is not that hard to qualify for a place once you are in the exam, but whether it is a place at the school your parents hoped for is another matter. And as Stroudydad says, the odds on 'passing' once you have entered are very good, around 50-50. In Bucks, for example, the odds are much lower than that, around 70-30. Knowing clever children from good schools who didn't qualify does not change those odds.
I’ve never been round Marling! but have heard it’s a good school though so absolutely no predjudice in my comment!!! Other boys (presumably echoing their parents) have belittled my so for ‘only’ choosing Crypt, I was simply commenting on what we’d been through. Their words, not mine!!?
I think Amber was referring to the bit where you said:

There are at least 5 others who "only" got Marling.....

which does imply that you rate Crypt higher, in the same way others rate STRS etc as higher than your son "only" applying to Crypt.
Amber

Post by Amber »

kenyancowgirl wrote:
I think Amber was referring to the bit where you said:

There are at least 5 others who "only" got Marling.....

which does imply that you rate Crypt higher, in the same way others rate STRS etc as higher than your son "only" applying to Crypt.
Yes KCG, you understand perfectly what I was saying.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now