Go to navigation
It is currently Sat Aug 18, 2018 3:55 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Pate's yr 7 2018
PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 8:31 am 

Hi there
Does anyone with a child starting Pate's in September fancy connecting? If there is interest I could start a Facebook group? Seems to be a popular way of getting new parents to connect :D

Post subject: Re: Pate's yr 7 2018
PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 10:09 am 

Meeee please!!!! :D :D :D

Looking forward to getting to know some people as we don't know anyone else who is going!!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 11:48 am 

Yep - happy to join too. I have two DCs at Pate's (currently Years 10 (DD) and 8 (DS#1) and know that my youngest DS will be in Richmond house as his siblings are. For the current Y8 Richmond parents we have a WhatsApp group which has been really great for that tutor group. We have had a few socials this year (mainly curries!) and it is really helpful for checking homework etc as different tutor groups have different lessons and teachers - so good for just the Richmond community. I expect that we will do something similar for the Richmond Year 7 group this year - so once you know which house your DC will be in - do let me know if you would like to be included in the Richmond WhatsApp group too!

Happy to join a Facebook group for the whole year group though as well :)

Do come to the Spring Fair on Saturday (10.30am - 12.30pm) if you can - you can get uniform there very reasonably priced and see the current Years 7 & 8 man their games and stalls!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 1:34 pm 

CKMum - how did the whatsapp group get started? Like how did you get the numbers of all the parents in that class? I'd love to be a part of that if we get Richmond - do you happen to know when houses are allocated (if you can remember that far back!)?

We are definitely going to come to the Spring fair - I mentioned it to DD when you said it the other day and she's really excited to come along! Do we just turn up or do we need to get a ticket or tell someone we are coming? Oooh games! Right up her street! :lol:

Looking forward to joining a Facebook group too!!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 1:59 pm 

smileandsparkle wrote:
CKMum - how did the whatsapp group get started? Like how did you get the numbers of all the parents in that class? I'd love to be a part of that if we get Richmond - do you happen to know when houses are allocated (if you can remember that far back!)?

We are definitely going to come to the Spring fair - I mentioned it to DD when you said it the other day and she's really excited to come along! Do we just turn up or do we need to get a ticket or tell someone we are coming? Oooh games! Right up her street! :lol:

My DD is currently in Year 7 at Pates.
As best I can remember you find out what house you will be in at the Hub visits for new starters with the head of Year 7. ( June ish)
Pates complied a list of phone numbers and emails for travel share info so you can get all the contact details from this. We have a fab Mum in 7 Gloucester who set up a WhatsApp group for us all. Its really useful for lost kit, homework and general chit chat.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 2:12 pm 

smileandsparkle wrote:

Can't remember when my DD knew her house (by extension we knew that her brothers would follow suit), but I imagine it will be sooner rather than later, as there are house ties now (it was just one tie back when DD was in year 7).

You can just turn up to the Spring Fair, it is free entry. There are usually stalls in the main hall (entry is by the Art Gallery and well sign posted) and then the games etc are in the small gym directly next to the hall.

There is a Year 7 parents social quite early on in the first term (was early Oct in 2017), where parents turn up and have their child's name and house colour on the badge, and you usually find that parents chat to other parents of children in the same house as their own, followed by gender! One of the parents took the initiative and asked all the Richmond parents who were there if they wanted to join, and then by word of mouth to those who were missed at that evening. It didn't take long and it has proved invaluable for all sorts of reasons I'm not sure if the other houses have done the same, but wouldn't be surprised if they have. It is harder to meet parents at secondary school, but at Pate's I know that the parents often take the initiative and some are more involved than others and I expect that is partially due to distance from the school as students come from far and wide!

I will be there on Saturday helping on one of the PA stalls, so if you wanted to meet me, happy to arrange by PM.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 7:06 pm 

Count me in :)

According the calendar:
French mornings are 13th and 20th June
Induction day 4th July
New y7 parents evening 28th June

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2018 10:46 pm 

FluffyCat wrote:
Count me in :)

According the calendar:
French mornings are 13th and 20th June
Induction day 4th July
New y7 parents evening 28th June

Dearie me where on earth are you finding this?! :lol: :lol: I just checked the calendar on the website but its so full I never would have been able to pull out those dates if you hadn't said them first! Clever clogs!! :D

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 10:04 am 

Daughter in Y12 had written them in the diary as she went through the calendar putting her dates in! :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 10:13 pm 

CK Mum - can you clarify something for me please??!!

Just had the Pates letter this morning and it states the Spring Fair is on Saturday 11th March - but the Saturday is the 10th so I'm assuming thats just a typo? I know you said it was the Saturday but I just wanted to check it wasn't actually Sunday 11th that they mean?

Don't want to show up on the wrong day!!

Thank you!!