Gloucester to Marling

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

mcfly

Re: Gloucester to Marling

Post by mcfly »

tabbycat wrote:Hello mcfly, congratulations on your son getting a place in Marling!

My DD goes to SHS and we use Ebley coaches 16 A bus. It is always full of Marling, SHS students and also some Archway boys and girls though I think they have to walk up the hill from Marling. It has been reliable except for the recent delays through the road works but hopefully it is over by September! They liaise well with the schools and if the schools close early (snow day etc) the bus adjust the time and bring children early so that is quite good. The cost is £13 for a book of 12 singles but this may be different for you as our DD gets on and off from Stonehouse. No time limit either so you can combine with other method of transport (lift share, train etc). Ebley Coach number is 01453-839333 and they are pretty helpful on the telephone.
Thank you tabbycat that's really good to hear. I'll give Ebley a call over the next few weeks. How busy does the bus get? Are there always spaces? Our thought is to start with the bus and once he gets confident we can try out the train. The train seems to be a good option especially for flexible return journeys in the evening if there are after school activities so it's great to be able to mix and match. My only concern with the Ebley bus is getting through the traffic from Over every morning as we're practically driving past the Gloucester train station to get to Quedgeley :)
Eromdap

Re: Gloucester to Marling

Post by Eromdap »

The traffic through Over gets worse the later you leave and may well get worse with the impending Over roundabout roadworks and Highnam lights changes before they get better. I take my dd to Ribston and find that it's not too bad at 7.30, perhaps 5-10 minute delay, but gets worse towards 8am. I used to do far worse commutes through Buckinghamshire 20 years ago!