So confused...Waiting List / Rank Query

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
onthefence

Re: So confused...Waiting List / Rank Query

Post by onthefence »

Kaybee wrote:Thanks brighteyes. I suspect then that we are very unlikely to get a place at Pates if you didn't (we are in the early 190's) It sounds like there has been very little movement.
DS preferred STR anyway - so at least we now know :)
Sorry to hear that Kaybee, you can go for that Blazer fitting now :wink:
Kaybee

Post by Kaybee »

onthefence wrote:
Kaybee wrote:Thanks brighteyes. I suspect then that we are very unlikely to get a place at Pates if you didn't (we are in the early 190's) It sounds like there has been very little movement.
DS preferred STR anyway - so at least we now know

Sorry to hear that Kaybee, you can go for that Blazer fitting now :wink:
Already done on the fence!! We went last week :D he's very excited...
Jean18

Post by Jean18 »

mulv2222 wrote:So my daughter sat the late test on March 22nd. She is apparently ranked 373 for SHS but 843 for Crypt? Is that just that SHS a have set the pass mark lower? Then Crypt went on to say that she could /should appeal if there is extra info available?

So confused... Will rank 373 on SHS be high up the waiting list or way down??

Please help. I'm completely new to this, we only looked at the familiarisation booklet, that was the only prep she did and obviously now I'm thinking she should have done more...
Just thought i'd help with clarification...
The rankings are not comparable because Crypt having gone Co-ed for 2018 means that their list contains both boys and girls effectively doubling their list. So as you describe whilst she appears 373 at SHS (single sex intake) she is 843 at Crypt because it ranks both sexes on the same list.
mulv2222

Post by mulv2222 »

Jean18 wrote:
mulv2222 wrote:So my daughter sat the late test on March 22nd. She is apparently ranked 373 for SHS but 843 for Crypt? Is that just that SHS a have set the pass mark lower? Then Crypt went on to say that she could /should appeal if there is extra info available?

So confused... Will rank 373 on SHS be high up the waiting list or way down??

Please help. I'm completely new to this, we only looked at the familiarisation booklet, that was the only prep she did and obviously now I'm thinking she should have done more...
Just thought i'd help with clarification...
The rankings are not comparable because Crypt having gone Co-ed for 2018 means that their list contains both boys and girls effectively doubling their list. So as you describe whilst she appears 373 at SHS (single sex intake) she is 843 at Crypt because it ranks both sexes on the same list.
Thanks for your help. Even more confusingly my dd was ranked 600 something for Pates...
Amber

Post by Amber »

It is not as simple as Jean18 implies. It is not 'the same list' at all, and while there is of course a 'Crypt Effect' this year (and doesn't everyone know it! :roll: ) the rankings for each school depend on the cohort who have shared scores with that school. Jean18 suggests that the list is the same but of course it isn't - not every girl who applied to SHS will also have applied to Crypt, and vice versa; and in any case once boys are in the mix the rankings will change again. They are standardised for age against birth month also. Pates do things differently and weight different areas of the test differently, so that adds another factor into the mix. When my younger son sat the test some years ago his friend scored more highly by one mark for STR and my son scored more highly than his friend by 2 ranks for Pates. Same test, same children, different cohort. Norm referencing at its most complex here in Gloucestershire!
stroudydad

Post by stroudydad »

Amber wrote:It is not as simple as Jean18 implies. It is not 'the same list' at all, and while there is of course a 'Crypt Effect' this year (and doesn't everyone know it! :roll: ) the rankings for each school depend on the cohort who have shared scores with that school. Jean18 suggests that the list is the same but of course it isn't - not every girl who applied to SHS will also have applied to Crypt, and vice versa; and in any case once boys are in the mix the rankings will change again. They are standardised for age against birth month also. Pates do things differently and weight different areas of the test differently, so that adds another factor into the mix. When my younger son sat the test some years ago his friend scored more highly by one mark for STR and my son scored more highly than his friend by 2 ranks for Pates. Same test, same children, different cohort. Norm referencing at its most complex here in Gloucestershire!
"And don't we know it" :lol:

But Amber has kind of summed it up perfectly..
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now