Crypt Appeals

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

cazien

Re: Crypt Appeals

Post by cazien »

piombino wrote:Does anyone know when the schools release their "last rank on allocation day" figures? I'm intrigued by the HSFG mystery as DD will be 11 plussing in a couple of years. Thanks for the info, Jearund!
They definitely publish it on the test results day so you can gauge whether your DC is "near" to previous cut-off rank, but I believe some are happy to publish it when asked to by a parent enquiring about places/ranks etc.

HSFG may not be a mystery - it's just not many on this forum seem to be posting about the school.
stroudydad

Post by stroudydad »

cazien wrote:
piombino wrote:Does anyone know when the schools release their "last rank on allocation day" figures? I'm intrigued by the HSFG mystery as DD will be 11 plussing in a couple of years. Thanks for the info, Jearund!
They definitely publish it on the test results day so you can gauge whether your DC is "near" to previous cut-off rank, but I believe some are happy to publish it when asked to by a parent enquiring about places/ranks etc.

HSFG may not be a mystery - it's just not many on this forum seem to be posting about the school.

Email the school and ask.. admissions offices are usually very helpful:-)
jearund

Post by jearund »

We had our appeal today. They told us there are 165 appeals (I think - I didn't write it down) and most have had strong academic evidence. They said that they obviously couldn't put that many people through so they would have to work out some way to to separate/ rank candidates once they'd heard all the appeals. They didn't yet know how they were going to do that!
jearund

Post by jearund »

They also told us the results will be sent out all in one go on Thursday 7 June by first class post so we should get them on the Friday, Royal Mail permitting....
Rachm82

Post by Rachm82 »

Hmmm, that's interesting. I wonder if they will use rank order, then cross reference with strong academic evidence. This is a lot more competitive than I anticipated!
stroudydad

Post by stroudydad »

Rachm82 wrote:Hmmm, that's interesting. I wonder if they will use rank order, then cross reference with strong academic evidence. This is a lot more competitive than I anticipated!
I wouldn't have thought they can, because part of the reason for appeal process is to be able to demonstrate that they would have the potential to rank higher under different circumstances if you know what I mean.. so if they just revert back to that rank they aren't taking note of that...
Lysander

Post by Lysander »

To help for next year, on allocations day (so before the reshuffle caused by Crypt undersubscription), we had the following

The last rank admitted to Pates was 176, which was within Crypt PAN
The last rank admitted to STRS was 275, which was in the Crypt 450s
The last rank admitted to Marling was 375, which is approximately Crypt 835
The last rank admitted to SHS was 375, which is approximately Crypt 848
The last rank admitted to Ribston was 503, which is approximately Crypt 1000
Based on 2016 data, when the last rank admitted to HSFG was 314, this would be approximately Crypt 650 (thanks to Jaerund for providing the additional data point that allowed me to calculate this)

Of these, Marling, SHS, and Ribston are most likely to have been affected by the shift in Crypt qualification rank, and it's possible that HSFG has lost one or two to Crypt. My estimate, is that after Crypt appeals have gone through to fill the final 28 places, these will shift along the waiting lists by another seven to ten each, plus there'll be children that haven't already got grammar places who will no doubt get through.

So by Crypt scores, I think we can say that for 2018 admission:

<150 needed to get a Pates place
<450 needed to get a STRS place
<650 needed to get a HSFG place
<850 needed to get a Marling place
<860 needed to get a SHS place
<1000 needed to get a Ribston place

And of course <800 to guarantee a Crypt place, but it should have been <925...
Rachm82

Post by Rachm82 »

I'm just wondering, if there are so many that are at a high academic standard, how are they going to cut the number down to 28??
stroudydad

Post by stroudydad »

Rachm82 wrote:I'm just wondering, if there are so many that are at a high academic standard, how are they going to cut the number down to 28??
They will have to siege up all evidence to see firstly how many they can admit (both in terms of space available and also the number they feel have proven academic ability - the two aren't necessarily the same), then who has the best case, based upon the whole range of reasons not just academic.

It's a bit like the old joke where several guys are running away from the lion/bear.. you don't necessarily have to be the fastest, just faster than the next one..
Jaethel

Post by Jaethel »

Rachm82 wrote:I'm just wondering, if there are so many that are at a high academic standard, how are they going to cut the number down to 28??
Someone will tell me if I'm wrong, but as it's now at appeal stage, presumably they'll go over PAN if the panel tell them to - so could they end up taking more than 28?
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now