Crypt Appeals

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
RedMaple

Re: Crypt Appeals

Post by RedMaple »

We got the email too - DS is in the first half of 800s.
I think Prof Pat is right and that everyone from rank 601 to 1800 will have got one as everyone has a statutory right to appeal. From what I can work out, most DCs ranked between 600 and 800 are most likely to have secured GS places elsewhere so it will be interesting to see where most appeals come from - those already with a place who wanted Crypt all along; those on other WLs and hedging bets (us!); or those who did not get qualifying scores. I'm wondering how/where Crypt will define the academic standard and whether the original ranking will play a part in that.
(Post crossed with onthefence's)
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

Up until the point at which they started inviting those not ranked initially to apply for a place, the obvious answer would be that they had set the cut off rank at the score they considered to be suitable for a place at that particular grammar school.

Does the email mention something about providing alternative evidence of academic ability?
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
Rachm82

Post by Rachm82 »

We received the email today too. My DD had a rank of 908. She qualified for Ribston and we have accepted a space there. I think we are going to stick with what we've got. They seem to want us parents to jump through hoops, which I'm not prepared to do if we are not 100% sure that we want to go there.
Prof Pat Pending

Post by Prof Pat Pending »

ToadMum wrote:Does the email mention something about providing alternative evidence of academic ability?
Yes, it does (notes on the Appeals procedure too) school reports are mentioned as are letters from school, SATs results (would you have them in time?) and any extenuating circumstances around the time of the test (11+)

I think Crypt were a little too subtle with their first 'choosing the Crypt' email as I think anyone who got that might be in with a good chance of a place.

Edited as cross-posted with Rach - I don't think there is anything else they can do, they can't change their admission procedure at this stage. They were quite clear that if you didn't have a qualifying score and put them on the CAF, your application would be rejected. You can't go on the waiting list if you didn't qualify either. Appealing is the only option left, although I agree with Rach that parents may not want to especially if they already have a place elsewhere.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

Am I misremembering that they had 1200 'shares'? So put their cut off at about half? (Ignore me if I'm completely wrong here :lol: ).

I can't help thinking that a better way of doing things would be to do what (almost?) everywhere else does and have a score, with a pass mark if necessary, then each school just rank everyone who applies to them - rather than have this intermediate and disparate ranking stage which has lead to children being deemed grammar material by several schools but beyond contemplation by Crypt. If necessary, an indication could be given along with the score that the child is or isn't eligible for a place at Pates, if Pates wanted to maintain the 'passing each element' rule. Honestly, it seems to work reasonably well over our side of the country with the CSSE schools :) .
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
stroudydad

Post by stroudydad »

ToadMum wrote:Am I misremembering that they had 1200 'shares'? So put their cut off at about half? (Ignore me if I'm completely wrong here :lol: ).

I can't help thinking that a better way of doing things would be to do what (almost?) everywhere else does and have a score, with a pass mark if necessary, then each school just rank everyone who applies to them - rather than have this intermediate and disparate ranking stage which has lead to children being deemed grammar material by several schools but beyond contemplation by Crypt. If necessary, an indication could be given along with the score that the child is or isn't eligible for a place at Pates, if Pates wanted to maintain the 'passing each element' rule. Honestly, it seems to work reasonably well over our side of the country with the CSSE schools :) .
It's worked perfectly well here for years, until someone decided to do something crazy
RedMaple

Post by RedMaple »

Am I misremembering that they had 1200 'shares'? So put their cut off at about half?
They had 1800 shares so qualified one third.

Could be wrong but I think last year they qualified about 400 boys for their 112 PAN (?) plus took 20+ additional boys on appeal. I'm guessing they thought they would be OK with ranking a further 200 to account for girls but a combination of factors (their own PAN increasing to 150; STR taking an additional unexpected 30 boys; the fact that more girls seemed to be ranked more highly in the 600 but chose other GS over them; different ranking priorities for each school) seems to have led to this position.

Well, that's my take on it anyway. I think there's another poster on here - Lysander? who is much better at doing this type of analysis than me!
FluffyCat

Post by FluffyCat »

I pity the appeals panel. They could be there for days :shock:
Amber

Post by Amber »

FluffyCat wrote:I pity the appeals panel. They could be there for days :shock:
months, years...
DC17C

Post by DC17C »

Well they have certainly had large numbers of appeals in the past 50 -60 + and dealt with them over a few days...I’m sure there will be those who find the effort worth it.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now