Crypt Appeals

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
stroudydad

Re: Crypt Appeals

Post by stroudydad »

Amber wrote:
Watermelon8 wrote: From what I’ve seen/experienced, there is far more ‘aren’t we wonderful’ arrogance at some of the other gs which is rather unattractive imo
I think there is only one school which I would accuse of that and it is not one being discussed on this thread.

Ooh harsh... :D
Watermelon8

Post by Watermelon8 »

Amber wrote:Yes. Not to mention quite unpleasant

Charming :roll:
It’s nothing personal to you & if someone was negatively describing my dd’s or other ds’ sch then yes, I would comment also....but they’re not.
stroudydad

Post by stroudydad »

Watermelon8 wrote:Tommies change in PAN was known a while before submitting choices, they just hadn’t changed it on their website. When I visited, I got the feeling they hadn’t really thought it through as they couldn't answer questions people had about the increase in PAN other than ‘it was an experiment’ before the official increase in 2019. It was slightly bizarre!
Agreed it was all a bit strange, but as you correctly pointed out should have made no real 'unknown' difference as it was well publicised beforehand, certainly well before any tests were taken.

I'll be honest if I'd been either Crypt or Marling I would have said '30 places extra at Stratford means we will need to go lower... how much lower is up for debate but from a purely simple terms I'd have guessed say 17 at crypt, and 13 at Marling.. (ovbviously this is just an example, but it's not really rocket science is it:-))
Amber

Post by Amber »

Watermelon8 wrote:
Amber wrote:Yes. Not to mention quite unpleasant

Charming :roll:
It’s nothing personal to you & if someone was negatively describing my dd’s or other ds’ sch then yes, I would comment also....but they’re not.
Sorry, but in my world, this is unpleasant. If one of my children said this to me, for example, I would be hurt:
Watermelon8 wrote: FGS Amber :shock:
I know I’m predictable for biting but seriously....!?!
In a mature debate, one ought to be able to take having one's child's school described negatively without resorting to eye rolling or exasperation. I have said no more than other posters - and none of it about the school itself - who you seem to leave alone. You have many times made negative remarks about STR and I have ignored what I see as inaccurate comments ('it's all about rugby') and have never tried to defend it particularly - while I am very happy indeed with it, I have no personal investment in the place and don't take personally criticisms which others are free to make.

For those seeking additional information, STR does have a section on its website where it publishes all FOI requests and their outcomes. I am not sure if other schools have such a thing, but it is quite interesting if nothing else. There is reference to the admission number there; it seems the main website is yet to catch up!
Rachm82

Post by Rachm82 »

What I still don't fully understand, is why Crypt didn't lower the ranking further to fill the remaining spaces. Why use appeals for this? Seems a bit unfair on those who just missed out on qualifying standard, possibly losing out to someone who didn't even take the exam? Yes they have got to have a cut off somewhere but surely only after they are full and then use appeals for overscription??
stroudydad

Post by stroudydad »

Rachm82 wrote:What I still don't fully understand, is why Crypt didn't lower the ranking further to fill the remaining spaces. Why use appeals for this? Seems a bit unfair on those who just missed out on qualifying standard, possibly losing out to someone who didn't even take the exam? Yes they have got to have a cut off somewhere but surely only after they are full and then use appeals for overscription??
Possibly they didn't want to water down their 'selection' too much?!
Amber

Post by Amber »

Rachm82 wrote:What I still don't fully understand, is why Crypt didn't lower the ranking further to fill the remaining spaces. Why use appeals for this? Seems a bit unfair on those who just missed out on qualifying standard, possibly losing out to someone who didn't even take the exam? Yes they have got to have a cut off somewhere but surely only after they are full and then use appeals for overscription??
A good point. I thought it had something to do with the admissions code - you can't change the parameters after the cut off has been decided - but then someone posted that last year or the year before her DS had been contacted after 1 March and offered a place despite not reaching the qualifying score so it can't be that. Also, by qualifying 200 more, they obviously have indeed changed the parameters, so I think your point is a good one to which we are unlikely to find an answer unless someone asks directly (FOI request?).

Crossed with stroudydad. But surely SD they would have got the 'best of the rest' that way, whereas the appeals route is riskier on that count?
stroudydad

Post by stroudydad »

Amber wrote:
A good point. I thought it had something to do with the admissions code - you can't change the parameters after the cut off has been decided - but then someone posted that last year or the year before her DS had been contacted after 1 March and offered a place despite not reaching the qualifying score so it can't be that. Also, by qualifying 200 more, they obviously have indeed changed the parameters, so I think your point is a good one to which we are unlikely to find an answer unless someone asks directly (FOI request?).

Crossed with stroudydad. But surely SD they would have got the 'best of the rest' that way, whereas the appeals route is riskier on that count?

i would suggest that the ability to take an holistic view of a child and not just one test result at a specific point in time would surely better enable you to choose those most capable/deserving. Surely that's why Unis do it.?
Rachm82

Post by Rachm82 »

In that case, why have an 11 plus exam?!! But let's not start on that one hey!!
Watermelon8

Post by Watermelon8 »

Rachm82 wrote:In that case, why have an 11 plus exam?!! But let's not start on that one hey!!
Yes, quite. That would be a long debate!!! :roll:
It must be horrendous playing the waiting game :(
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now