Where to Live in Gloucester

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

onthefence

Re: Where to Live in Gloucester

Post by onthefence »

Eromdap wrote:Just as well Pates wasn't an option then!
Quite. Perhaps it is easy for some to forget that grammar schools were purposely built in the middle of council estates to encourage bright, working class children. Slightly ironic for the sharp-elbowed to complain about this now.
Kaybee

Post by Kaybee »

Yes very true - but the sad thing is that I suspect very few children from poor backgrounds now get that opportunity. It never fails to amaze me that our primary school (& I'm sure others) fail to even acknowledge the existence of the grammar schools. How would you even know how to negotiate the system? The whole process is rather depressing - and yes, I'm a little ashamed to having been part of it!
Kaybee

Post by Kaybee »

Apologies for the off topic rant!
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

onthefence wrote:
Eromdap wrote:Just as well Pates wasn't an option then!
Quite. Perhaps it is easy for some to forget that grammar schools were purposely built in the middle of council estates to encourage bright, working class children. Slightly ironic for the sharp-elbowed to complain about this now.
Not always.
Richard Pate founded his school in 1586, originally in the church.
Current Pate’s was formed from Cheltenham Grammar School (boys) and Pate’s Grammar School for Girls. CGS was originally in the High Street and then moved to its present location in Princess Elizabeth Way. Pate’s Grammar School for Girls was in Albert Way. The schools were all part of a foundation, the boy’s school owned their building. The building of PGSG was owned by the local authority. When universal grammar schools ended, the schools amalgamated and moved to the Princess Elizabeth Way site.

For what it is worth, I attended Pate’s Grammar School for Girls and grew up in the ‘ghetto’ that you are all talking about.
Eromdap

Post by Eromdap »

If you look into their histories Ribston, Tommies and Crypt were all in the centre of Glos.
Watermelon8

Post by Watermelon8 »

Eromdap wrote:If you look into their histories Ribston, Tommies and Crypt were all in the centre of Glos.

Crypt was started in 1539 long before poor, council estates & has moved 3 or 4 times.
onthefence

Post by onthefence »

Oh heck, I seem to have offended a lot of people, when really I was pointing my response in entirely another direction towards comments about ghettos made in another thread about another county. Point entirely taken that perhaps not all post-war education policy applies in Gloucestershire in its entirety. I am very sorry if I have insulted its schools' proud and long heritage etc etc.
Amber

Post by Amber »

I quoted a remark from a thread on the Birmingham forum which has been made by someone seeking information on moving to Gloucester. It shocked me on that forum and I put it here to cast some light on that poster’s reasons for wanting to pursue grammar schools here. I don’t think you have any blame, OT fence, and I don’t think anyone is suggesting you’ve been insensitive. You did not introduce the word. :)
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now