Crypt change to qualify 800 not 600

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
stroudydad

Re: Crypt change to qualify 800 not 600

Post by stroudydad »

Amber wrote:I think it looks like an absolute nightmare tbh - how is a panel meant to decide between these students? Someone with a lower score whose child has extenuating circumstances vs someone else whose child was in the low 600s? By the time you have seen 20 or 30 of these how on earth can you prioritise? At least it looks like the year will be full which given that the decision was taken on financial grounds will be a massive relief to the SLT and governors. The effect it has on other schools of course will not be so welcome!
It does also make you wonder 'how selective' this cohort will actually be.
Watermelon8

Post by Watermelon8 »

Amber wrote:I think it looks like an absolute nightmare tbh - how is a panel meant to decide between these students? Someone with a lower score whose child has extenuating circumstances vs someone else whose child was in the low 600s? By the time you have seen 20 or 30 of these how on earth can you prioritise? At least it looks like the year will be full which given that the decision was taken on financial grounds will be a massive relief to the SLT and governors. The effect it has on other schools of course will not be so welcome!
I’m assuming they’ll just prioritise by rank in the 1st instance which is all they would’ve done if they’d originally qualified to 800. Surely, they’ll just give the unfilled spaces to all those wanting them in the new qualifying rank working thru in order until they either run out of spaces or get to 800. Then proper appeals start???
Amber

Post by Amber »

Watermelon8 wrote: Then proper appeals start???
109 of them?
Watermelon8

Post by Watermelon8 »

stroudydad wrote:
Why does it? There are so many dc who only missed out on Crypt this year due to the huge increase in parents ticking the box but not really wanting the places. All it’s done, has pushed dc down the ranks who traditionally would’ve got Crypt. Every local school I know of has been affected in the same way, they usually send quite a few to Crypt but this year only 1 or 2. I can’t see there will be any difference it’s just a very long drawn out process to get the same outcome.
Watermelon8

Post by Watermelon8 »

Amber wrote:
109 of them?
But as I posted earlier....is that figure actual appeals? Friend’s appealed for dc then a week later got 600-800 email & requested consideration so surely in those cases, they will no longer be classed as appeals?? They are guaranteed due to dc rank in the new qualifying zone.
stroudydad

Post by stroudydad »

Watermelon8 wrote:
stroudydad wrote:
Why does it? There are so many dc who only missed out on Crypt this year due to the huge increase in parents ticking the box but not really wanting the places. All it’s done, has pushed dc down the ranks who traditionally would’ve got Crypt. Every local school I know of has been affected in the same way, they usually send quite a few to Crypt but this year only 1 or 2. I can’t see there will be any difference it’s just a very long drawn out process to get the same outcome.
There is no huge increase this year.. it's been like that for years
stroudydad

Post by stroudydad »

Watermelon8 wrote:
Amber wrote:
109 of them?
But as I posted earlier....is that figure actual appeals? Friend’s appealed for dc then a week later got 600-800 email & requested consideration so surely in those cases, they will no longer be classed as appeals?? They are guaranteed due to dc rank in the new qualifying zone.
No they aren't... they are just classed as having achieved a qualifying score..
Watermelon8

Post by Watermelon8 »

stroudydad wrote:
Watermelon8 wrote:
There is no huge increase this year.. it's been like that for years[/quote]

But 1600 ticked to share their results with Crypt this year....more than any previous year???
Watermelon8

Post by Watermelon8 »

No they aren't... they are just classed as having achieved a qualifying score..[/quote]

Well obviously not guaranteed until told but if 600-800 now qualifies, why would they not just go thru them in order & allocate the spaces they have....which is what they would’ve done had they cut off at 800 originally
stroudydad

Post by stroudydad »

But there were double the number of eligible applicants, and 25% more spaces... so in real terms is probably proportionally deceased
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now