Crypt change to qualify 800 not 600

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Watermelon8

Re: Crypt change to qualify 800 not 600

Post by Watermelon8 »

& also, the first co-Ed year of any school will be met with caution. I know so many girl parents who just weren’t prepared to make the leap in case there weren’t many girls for the first year. It’s not lack of interest in the co-ed market surely!!
onthefence

Post by onthefence »

Rachm82 wrote:Aw what a shame, we have still missed out. My daughter has ranked 908. Was thinking about appealing but after hearing this I don't think we will have any chance. Think we will stick with the grammar school we have been allocated. Good luck to everyone else though, hope you get a space!
Oh dear. I imagine this is not the reaction Crypt were hoping for. If it is correct that they still have 65 places to fill, as RedMaple says, it must be the case that they are still expecting/hoping to fill their PAN via appeals. Each extra place means more money, after all, although I have lost exactly where we are on the funding formula.
stroudydad

Post by stroudydad »

Rachm82 wrote:Aw what a shame, we have still missed out. My daughter has ranked 908. Was thinking about appealing but after hearing this I don't think we will have any chance. Think we will stick with the grammar school we have been allocated. Good luck to everyone else though, hope you get a space!
If you feel your DD has the ability and that crypt would be a better fit school why not still appeal? All crypt have done by this is try to fill up to PAN - to basically make it like it should have been in the first place. There will still be a part to play for appeals..
Watermelon8

Post by Watermelon8 »

Totally agree Rachm82. I would guess at that close you’d stand a really good chance!
Amber

Post by Amber »

Rachm82 wrote:Thank you all for your reassurance. I do think Ribston is better suited to my dd. I think I just went into a panic after speaking to this person today! I have now come to realise that it's is just one persons opinion and I need to form my own judgement. Thanks again!
Thought you had decided you prefer Ribston Rachm82?
RedMaple

Post by RedMaple »

The timing is still all a bit unfortunate though.

Effectively, this is like a mini-reconsideration exercise but purely for Crypt - GCC won't be able to let you know you have a place at Crypt until after midday on Friday 27th at the earliest, but that's also the appeal closing deadline.

So, if you have a ranking beyond 665, you will still need to put in an oversubscription appeal in case you don't make PAN, in the unlikely event that all ranked DCs ahead of you want a place. The closer you are to 800, then the more need to do this to cover all bases. And as onthefence says, if those beyond 800 (like my DS (840s) and rachm82) assume the 65 PAN will now be taken from earlier ranks, we may not put in appeals believing it to be pointless, which won't be what the Crypt wants.....

And so it trundles on. Thank goodness it's Friday, the sun is out, Prosecco is chilling in my fridge and I have already completed my appeal paperwork. :)
cazien

Post by cazien »

If I remember correctly, someone posted that Crypt had 80+ appeals last year with 30+ being successful. Everyone has a chance, especially as I believe Crypt are oversubscribed in most year groups now, mostly through successful appellants.

You are obviously in a dilemma so have a chat to your DD - is she still undecided?

If you both have doubts about Ribston or you both favour Crypt, you have nothing to lose by appealing.

The last Ofsted inspections rated Ribston "good" in Jan '17 and Crypt "outstanding" in May '12. Crypt had the inspection around the time Mr Dyer was appointed Head, so whether Ribston will have an inspection when the new Head takes up post time will tell.
onthefence

Post by onthefence »

The Easter holidays have really hampered the school/the LA getting their ducks in a row, I guess. It doesn't make sense to me that this mini-reconsideration exercise would be so timed not to allow a short gap for parents to gather info and take a breath before deciding whether to appeal for a school. Good luck for Marling, RedMaple. I hope your appeal paperwork is not needed.
Amber

Post by Amber »

cazien wrote:If you both have doubts about Ribston or you both favour Crypt, you have nothing to lose by appealing.

The last Ofsted inspections rated Ribston "good" in Jan '17 and Crypt "outstanding" in May '12.
Appealing can be quite unsettling and I suggest if you have decided one school suits a child better than another, the possibility that the other has more places to fill should not really influence you. Of course, in the case of genuine indecision, that is a whole other matter.

OFSTED inspection framework changed in that time (2015) so the results are not comparable, even if you think they are a good way to rate a school (I don't, but that is another issue).

+1 RedMaple. People in your position have borne the brunt of this I think but are less visible than those who missed a Crypt place.
onthefence

Post by onthefence »

Amber wrote: OFSTED inspection framework changed in that time (2015) so the results are not comparable, even if you think they are a good way to rate a school (I don't, but that is another issue).
Agreed. Several of the grammar schools have not been inspected recently enough for their Ofsted reports to be of relevance, if you value such things. Seems like even after the 2015 framework change the goalposts are continually shifting and a lot can change in a school in a couple of years.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now