mean, median and mode - not needed now??

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

steppemum

Re: mean, median and mode - not needed now??

Post by steppemum »

That's really helpful, I think most of that is covered, but i do wonder about emphasis, and how that might be reflected in 11+ (more about calculating fractions?)

Dd2 (year 5) had a homework question about miles to km this week, and she hadn't a clue, so I guess that is one that we need to pick up on too.
Wondering about imperial measures now as well...
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

When was it published? These changes are 4 years ago ...
steppemum

Post by steppemum »

CGP books are bought new this year, they seem to be updated each year slightly, so even though the published date on the old one and the new one is 2013, the new one is different, and there is no 'edition date' shown.

The NC was changed 4 years ago, but not for that years year 6. So dd1 is now in year 8, and she was the first year to do new year 6 curriculum, and the new SATS, and so when she did 11+ the year 6 at the time was working on the old curriculum, so I wonder if that made a difference.

It would be so helpful if we knew what to teach them for the 11+.
What I find frustrating is this idea that it is not a test you can teach to, but includes things that you will only know if taught, particularly in maths.

Doesn't matter how clever the kid is and how quickly they pick up new information, if they have never heard of median, then they can't answer it can they?
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

The Bucks Transfer Test says content is only up to the end of Year 5 which is very clear.
steppemum

Post by steppemum »

That is veyr helpful of Bucks, but doesn't help us for Glos does it!

(unless the test is the same)