How is everybody bearing up???

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
gloucestermum

How is everybody bearing up???

Post by gloucestermum »

Very quiet in here-are we all bearing up waiting for March 4th???
Still hoping for a miracle-although resigning ourselves to reality!!

Gloucestermum
proud mum x2

Post by proud mum x2 »

Hi gloucestermum, it's very quiet here,i've been reading some of the sad posts on appeals,makes me realize how lucky some of us are. Really feel for those parents who know where their children should be going,so dedicated,takes my breath away....there are so many kind, helpful,and knowledgable people that post here and give up their time to help others.

I am waiting for the day too, although mine is an easy wait, I will be crossing everything,hoping that you all get your prayers answered, I'm so glad I found this forum, like minded people who will move mountains for their kids,to try to give them the best chances they can.
last year mum

Post by last year mum »

Hi,thinking of all the Gloucestershire parents and children waiting anxiously.I think this is the worst bit.It seems such along time from the November exam until March,that its unreal,but now results are just around the corner.If you're waiting for the postman,I seem to recall that we had three letters in all and were panicking about which to open first!
Burneth

Post by Burneth »

Hi last year Mum

I am a little curious when you say you received three letters - were they all from the LEA or is the letter they send not obviously from them? I am wondering what size to look out for. :roll: :roll:

We are all on the home straight now...just over 3 weeks and we will all have our allocations...then comes the fun of waiting lists should the allocation not be what we wanted! :cry:
last year mum

Post by last year mum »

hi Burneth,sorry didn't mean to confuse with the mention of three letters.They were all individually sent.One came direct from Pates saying well done etc. A4 paper folded to fit DL(?) size envelope. Two letters came from Glos County Council,one saying we are pleased to offer 1st choice school and the other giving test results.We had put Denmark rd as 2nd choice,hence we were given the results.Also A4 paper but folded in half.All were dated 1st March and received on the same day.I can be specific with sizes because I am a sad mum who keeps stuff like that! All envelopes were thin.Hope this helps with your scrutiny of the post on results day.We also had a letter from Denmark Rd the next day saying although it wasn't our first choice,we may wish to seek reconsideration.I know all the grammars were down on numbers initially and I think it's standard practice for 2nd choice schools to do this.Don't know if system will be the same this year.Good luck and I hope you get what you want.i heard from other mums who were lurking on street corners trying to locate the postman and waylay him that they were not the only ones doing this.
Burneth

Post by Burneth »

Wow it all seems so "real" when you describe the your letters - especially now it is almost time for me to receive mine - although I will be checking my email from midnight on 3rd March (and obsessively clicking "send and receive" every couple of minutes just in case!).

I have no idea what the LEA will allocate to my son. He did pass the GS exam but only just - and the anticipation is almost too much to bear!

I do get comfort from the fact that there must be many parents in the same situation as me and I want to wish you all the very best of luck for the 4th. I really hope everybody gets their wish for their children.

PS funnily enough, my son is not at all bothered by the wait - isn't it just the way!
proud mum x2

Post by proud mum x2 »

Hi last year mum,

I'm just as daft as you, i've kept my son's letters (y11), and when my daughter's letter came from Pates in Nov , I must have read it 30 times at least.The congrats cards are still up,Christmas and Birthday cards have come and gone, but won't take them down!!

I don't think I will get a letter :cry: because I applied on-line to Worcs CC, I may get one from Denmark Road though? I'll just have to wait and see, I hope too that everyone is happy with their outcomes, even if it takes some shuffling about on the waiting lists.
At least the days are lighter and brighter,spring is springing!!!
Burneth

Post by Burneth »

Do you think all the Grammar Schools will send out a letter if you have been successful with a place? I only say as this would give a BIG clue without opening the official letter from the LEA as to which school you have been allocated. Cypt's letterhead and envelope is quite distinctive! Oh dear - more to be anxious about lol!
last year mum

Post by last year mum »

Hi again Burneth and Proud Mum,
The wait is horrible whether on line or by snail mail.I suppose that if most people get results on line it saves the awful dilemma as to whether you keep your child at home until the post arrives or send them into school.At my daughter's school,everybody did different things,so some children with early post came to school knowing,others rang parents at lunchtime.No way is ideal is it?
And yes I read the letter a million times over too,just to make sure!
last year mum

Post by last year mum »

Burneth,I'm not sure about the boy's grammars or whether they send a letter regardless of success or not.It's awful having to second guess.To completely confuse us even more,we had a letter from Cheltenham College on the same day.Now that was never part of our game plan ( a little thing called money) so don't know where they got our name from.It made us laugh though as we were inundated with post.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now