Advice

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
stevie1978

Advice

Post by stevie1978 »

My daughter is looking to take the exam for Gloucester all girls schools in September.

What preparations can i take for the exam. Also, any Android apps i can install on my daughter's tablet to help.
stroudydad

Re: Advice

Post by stroudydad »

Hi there and welcome.. have you looked at the two stickies at the top of the Gloucester forum? They contain factual information and info about relevant resources.
stevie1978

Post by stevie1978 »

Thank you for the advice
onthefence

Post by onthefence »

Or look at the CEM section (but don't panic when you see how long it is).
pish

Post by pish »

This Forum might help.

https://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum ... 16&t=54016" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Good luck
stevie1978

Post by stevie1978 »

Thanks for all your help.
Our daughter does not want to go to the closest secondary school ( due to bullying from kids in the same class in primary school )
Wants to meet new people. Therefore, looking further afield.
Octsmum

Post by Octsmum »

Hi & Welcome

There are 3 elements to the Glos 11+ - Verbal Reasoning, Non Verbal reasoning & Maths. The other big element to the Gloucestershire 11+ is the very tight timed element - so don't forget to work on doing stuff in tight timed conditions. I'd start with working out where you have gaps in subject coverage as the children are only in YR5 and might not have covered everything / where your DD is weaker. We worked on timed times tables exercises to help with the speed and tried to make it fun to beat previous records. I'd recommend CGP 11+ books. It will be beneficial to do some test papers along the way - initially non timed & then timed. A mock later on is a big help as it helps them cope in unfamiliar surroundings, ignore everyone else & just work.

The only 'app' we used was quizlet where we input vocabulary /synonyms & antonyms.

Best of luck
stevie1978

Post by stevie1978 »

Great advice thank you
Jean18

Post by Jean18 »

You've lots of time to put a plan together... start with the recommended CGP 11+ books they are good, then start the 10 minute practice books to introduce speed and then practice test papers. Above all I would strongly recommend developing her vocabulary - reading challenging books, questioning her understanding and the meaning of words etc.
stevie1978

Post by stevie1978 »

Thank you all
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now