Crypt 2018 Reallocation outcome

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
malaika25

Re: Crypt 2018 Reallocation outcome

Post by malaika25 »

You too Jaethel - fingers crossed for all of us!
Methemom

Post by Methemom »

Thank you, good luck to all of us on the WL!
Amber

Post by Amber »

Watermelon8 wrote: Without thinking too hard about it, I know of 10 at least who picked Crypt over Pates or Tommies.
Watermelon8 wrote:I said I knew people who’d chosen Crypt over Tommies,Pates but that was simply a quick calculation of dc I know there from a range of years not from this September intake! Apologies for any confusion!
I know 3 ds who have picked Crypt over Tommies for this intake.
Ah yes, I think we can see where the confusion arose now. Perhaps people (like me) assumed that your first statement referred to this year, as this is the 2018 thread. I was wondering whether 7 had chosen Crypt over Pates, which of course is entirely possible for all manner of reasons, but as the Pates list was pretty tight this year that would have meant not many went anywhere else apart from Crypt. It is clear now what you meant. :)

My personal view is that the most likely casualties here will be Ribston (minor damage) and the non-selective schools in Gloucester.

Adding my own crossed fingers for all those hoping for a different school, and for the schools who are the ultimate victims of all this.
Watermelon8

Post by Watermelon8 »

Lol, I should’ve been clearer! :lol: Apologies for all the scratching heads!
I do know 2 who’ve picked Hsfg not Pates this year but as someone else has said, there’s almost no hsfg discussion this year which is bizarre.
Hope it’s all sorted soon...it’s been good for discussion but what a nightmare on so many levels.
Fingers crossed for all of you still waiting
Amber

Post by Amber »

Watermelon8 wrote:Lol, I should’ve been clearer! :lol: Apologies for all the scratching heads!
I do know 2 who’ve picked Hsfg not Pates this year but as someone else has said, there’s almost no hsfg discussion this year which is bizarre.
Hope it’s all sorted soon...it’s been good for discussion but what a nightmare on so many levels.
My feeling when all this started was that Crypt was fed up with the annual exodus of girls from HSFG particularly, and also Ribston, to STR for sixth form and saw the creation of a Y7 mixed intake as an opportunity to both make money and stem that flow further down the line - thereby getting a slice of the able girls to bolster A level results. However, and again this is my own opinion, that was always going to be a risky strategy as both those schools, and especially HSFG, had a robust intake at Y7 - it was only in Y12 that the numbers were well down. To succeed in attracting the girls from HSFG early on would require parents of 10 year olds to look at sixth form numbers and ask questions which frankly you just don't ask at that stage, as well as seeing into the future. I think for this reason the Crypt gamble did not pay off - they did not attract girls who would have gone to HSFG. The replacement of the Head at the latter school will also have helped to keep waverers from defecting. I doubt that for geographical and other reasons many would choose Crypt over SHS - the intake at the latter holds up pretty consistently.

Pates is a different beast altogether and parents attracted by it are on the whole unlikely to choose any other grammar, unless between application and results they visit and don't like what they see, or, like the people you know, WM, prefer one of the Gloucester schools after all. There will as you say always be those who prefer Crypt to STR (maybe because they are persuaded by the erroneous 'it is all about rugby' stuff which some put out) but not in huge numbers. Thus my own 'bottom line' view is that the only girls who would be tempted to defect would come from Ribston (where, again, the new head might serve to keep waverers), and most of the boys coming in late now will be those who opted for Marling when they really preferred Crypt but didn't qualify as the cut-off was so far out.
stroudydad

Post by stroudydad »

Amber wrote:
Watermelon8 wrote:Lol, I should’ve been clearer! :lol: Apologies for all the scratching heads!
My feeling when all this started was that Crypt was fed up with the annual exodus of girls from HSFG particularly, and also Ribston, to STR for sixth form and saw the creation of a Y7 mixed intake as an opportunity to both make money and stem that flow further down the line - thereby getting a slice of the able girls to bolster A level results. However, and again this is my own opinion, that was always going to be a risky strategy as both those schools, and especially HSFG, had a robust intake at Y7 - it was only in Y12 that the numbers were well down. To succeed in attracting the girls from HSFG early on would require parents of 10 year olds to look at sixth form numbers and ask questions which frankly you just don't ask at that stage, as well as seeing into the future. I think for this reason the Crypt gamble did not pay off - they did not attract girls who would have gone to HSFG. The replacement of the Head at the latter school will also have helped to keep waverers from defecting. I doubt that for geographical and other reasons many would choose Crypt over SHS - the intake at the latter holds up pretty consistently.

Pates is a different beast altogether and parents attracted by it are on the whole unlikely to choose any other grammar, unless between application and results they visit and don't like what they see, or, like the people you know, WM, prefer one of the Gloucester schools after all. There will as you say always be those who prefer Crypt to STR (maybe because they are persuaded by the erroneous 'it is all about rugby' stuff which some put out) but not in huge numbers. Thus my own 'bottom line' view is that the only girls who would be tempted to defect would come from Ribston (where, again, the new head might serve to keep waverers), and most of the boys coming in late now will be those who opted for Marling when they really preferred Crypt but didn't qualify as the cut-off was so far out.

Seems like a well thought out response and is certainly what I would also think, from past experience on here.. xx
Watermelon8

Post by Watermelon8 »

Amber wrote:

Who knows really. I think ultimately it’s a smart move by Crypt & will grow in popularity. At our primary, we have a few pretty good comps locally (not for me but popular). Some parents are anti single sex schs & have the attitude Pates or comp as they disagree with single sex education. Or they take hsfg, Ribston begrudgingly as wanted grammar but didn’t get Pates, ideally wanted co-ed & leave for Tommies etc at 6th form. This is my 6th year going thru it & the energy was def different this year with having 2 co-Ed grammars to choose. The difficulty was taking the leap to be the first. Those girl starters for Crypt that I know of have specifically picked it as Pates is a long way or they didn’t want Pates(it’s not for everyone) & they really want co-ed. For that reason, I can’t see any prob attracting girls in the future.
Watermelon8

Post by Watermelon8 »

But, it would be boring if we agreed Amber :wink:
Amber

Post by Amber »

Watermelon8 wrote:But, it would be boring if we agreed Amber :wink:
Oh I can easily agree on two points there - that it will grow in popularity and that Pates isn't for everyone. Interesting you say that the girl starters you know of 'didn't want' Pates though - did they actually pass for Pates? On the popularity front - one does wonder how selective 'selective' will be in future. Personally as an opponent of the principle of selection I would be very happy to see Crypt become a true comprehensive, such as we do not have in Gloucestershire, but I know from the governors' minutes that they are worried about exactly that scenario which is why they pitched in too high this time.

Interesting times ahead, though in the big scheme of chronic and deliberate government underfunding of state education, really a tiny detail, sadly.
Watermelon8

Post by Watermelon8 »

Amber wrote:
Watermelon8 wrote:But, it would be boring if we agreed Amber :wink:
Oh I can easily agree on two points there - that it will grow in popularity and that Pates isn't for everyone. Interesting you say that the girl starters you know of 'didn't want' Pates though - did they actually pass for Pates? On the popularity front - one does wonder how selective 'selective' will be in future. Personally as an opponent of the principle of selection I would be very happy to see Crypt become a true comprehensive, such as we do not have in Gloucestershire, but I know from the governors' minutes that they are worried about exactly that scenario which is why they pitched in too high this time.

Interesting times ahead, though in the big scheme of chronic and deliberate government underfunding of state education, really a tiny detail, sadly.
They pitched too high rank wise but they haven’t lowered their standards imo. The new qualification bracket is just letting in boys(mostly)who would’ve got in last year but were pushed out due to the increase in shares. Local schs who traditionally send 6+ to Crypt had 1 or 2 instead. Not because the cohort was not as bright but because so many girls shared then didn’t take the leap. My ds’ year has always been a good year & before the results we expected the usual 6 to Tommies, 6 to Crypt but it didn’t happen as only the Tommies/Pates passers also got Crypt & mostly chose Tommies due to being nearer. Those boys pushed out of the crypt places are now getting in via the rank change & some will appeal. Friend’s in similar schs report the same.