Class Sizes

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
jearund

Re: Class Sizes

Post by jearund »

Just a thought re my post just now - obviously we all want our children to be happy at school and none of wants them to be pushed to the point of a nervous breakdown! And I don't mean to imply that other schools do that, or that other parents prioritise academic achievement over their children's health and happiness.
My concern is just that there does appear to be a sort of academic 'pecking order' and I hate the thought that it's not ok to choose the 'least desirable' school in this pecking order for a child who qualified for higher ranking schools. I want to know that I have chosen a good school where my child is going to be happy and do well.
DC17C

Post by DC17C »

jearund wrote:Just a thought re my post just now - obviously we all want our children to be happy at school and none of wants them to be pushed to the point of a nervous breakdown! And I don't mean to imply that other schools do that, or that other parents prioritise academic achievement over their children's health and happiness.
My concern is just that there does appear to be a sort of academic 'pecking order' and I hate the thought that it's not ok to choose the 'least desirable' school in this pecking order for a child who qualified for higher ranking schools. I want to know that I have chosen a good school where my child is going to be happy and do well.
Everything is relative...they are all good schools...I have been super happy that my dd chose to go to Ribston..she too had that luxury of choice....but Ribston was the school where she was comfortable.she has moved on for sixth form and I was surprised that that happened but it was mostly about subject choices...the whole pecking order thing is caused by a multitude of factors...
stroudydad

Post by stroudydad »

jearund wrote:Just a thought re my post just now - obviously we all want our children to be happy at school and none of wants them to be pushed to the point of a nervous breakdown! And I don't mean to imply that other schools do that, or that other parents prioritise academic achievement over their children's health and happiness.
As has been said many times, the most important thing about any school is that the child is happy there - that they are a good fit. DS1 turned down Pates, STRS and Crypt for Marling. That was 7 years ago when they still had a 'good' rating. We went to the open evening and Mr Balster came out with the line 'we like to think we 'get' boys'. Time has shown he was dead right...
DS loved STRS as well, but when we all sat down and weighed everything up Marling was the school that gave him the best life and education combination. He got 9 out of 11 top grades in gcse and is predicted top grades in alevel (maths and 3 sciences). He is applying to Oxford. But most importantly he loves the school, and I has allowed him to have a good work/life balance.

So take it from someone that is often seen as the one who perpetuates that rumour, yes there is a hierarchy, but no it doesn't matter if it's the right school:-)
Eromdap

Post by Eromdap »

Another Ribston dd here. We visited both HSFG and Ribston, listened to the heads’ speeches and both of us unanimously agreed that HSFG was not the best school for her. Her results enabled her to choose and she opted for Ribston. She has now nearly completed her first year and has settled extremely well. I have just been to her parents’ evening and have been totally impressed with not only how well sh3 is doing, but also of how well the teachers know her and have managed a couple of issues that we have had.

My ds has been lucky enough to choose this year, I’m hoping that he will be happy with his choice...
cambridge61

Post by cambridge61 »

A big thank you to everyone for their advice along the way - our appeal to Ribston was successful - we are a very happy house :D :D
DC17C

Post by DC17C »

cambridge61 wrote:A big thank you to everyone for their advice along the way - our appeal to Ribston was successful - we are a very happy house :D :D
Great news for you and your dd...I hope she has a great time at Ribston
jearund

Post by jearund »

Well done cambridge61! You can join our Ribston Hall new Year 7 FB group now if you want.:-)
My friend's appeal was unsuccessful and the argument was simply that the school was full and they didn't have room for more pupils so I'm interested in how you managed to successfully counter that (if you don't mind sharing). Also where were you on the waiting list if you know? (That's now my friend's only hope so I'm wondering if you were one of the people ahead of her on it). We're still waiting for final shuffling!
Watermelon8

Post by Watermelon8 »

Picked hsfg over Pates for DD, Crypt over Tommies for DS & Crypt over Pates & Tommies for other DS. I find that i constantly have to justify myself, which is annoying :cry: but they are all good schools & you simply pick the one that works for you & feels right for your child. I really don’t think they’d get different exam results if I’d picked the so say ‘better school’, they are bright children & I think they will do best at the sch that suits them best.
cambridge61

Post by cambridge61 »

jearund wrote:Well done cambridge61! You can join our Ribston Hall new Year 7 FB group now if you want.:-)
My friend's appeal was unsuccessful and the argument was simply that the school was full and they didn't have room for more pupils so I'm interested in how you managed to successfully counter that (if you don't mind sharing). Also where were you on the waiting list if you know? (That's now my friend's only hope so I'm wondering if you were one of the people ahead of her on it). We're still waiting for final shuffling!
first of all thank you...already in the group

we had strong (at least i thought strong guess they agreed) mitigating circumstances about events on the day which i believe swung it for us.

about 2 weeks ago were 21 on the list...
jearund

Post by jearund »

Thanks - too late for my friend now barring a miracle but I'm storing up everything I've learnt about appeals as my DS will take the 2019 test.....hope no appeal is necessary but it's good to be prepared!
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now