Class Sizes

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

cambridge61

Re: Class Sizes

Post by cambridge61 »

there is one.....we are on it......

so it almost begs the question, if they will not go over PAN, and have a waiting list, can an appeal be successful?
cazien

Post by cazien »

cambridge61 wrote:there is one.....we are on it......

so it almost begs the question, if they will not go over PAN, and have a waiting list, can an appeal be successful?

I believe last year 2 out of 26 appeals were successful. But Ribston lost approx. 10 girls (mostly to HSFG) after appeals so quite a few on the waiting list had offers of a place.
stroudydad

Post by stroudydad »

cazien wrote:
cambridge61 wrote:there is one.....we are on it......

I believe last year 2 out of 26 appeals were successful. But Ribston lost approx. 10 girls (mostly to HSFG) after appeals so quite a few on the waiting list had offers of a place.

This is exactly what I meant:-)
mcfly

Post by mcfly »

stroudydad wrote:Could the low numbers over PAN be accounted for by the fact that Ribston is usually the seen as the least desirable of the girls schools, so although some appeals to enter may be won, it is likely that some holding places at allocation day may win appeals elsewhere and move, thus keeping the status quo?? Just a theory...

Either way it shows there is no real precedent of admitting way over PAN..
stroudydad wrote:
cambridge61 wrote:if someone who had a place a place at Ribston, won an place elsewhere, wouldn't that place be offered to the next on the waiting list.....as opposed to an someone who appeals.....?
Assuming there is a waiting list...
Traditionally it was undersubscribed
In my experience Ribston is not under-subscribed at the start of the academic year in September due to waiting list movements. I am personally aware of girls from the last 2 years that havent been offered a place on allocations day due to non-qualification (cant comment about appeals). Im sorry but its comments like yours that perpetuate your own view of this school as being "usually the seen as the least desirable of the girls schools". Please try to refrain (if you can).
Amber

Post by Amber »

mcfly wrote: I am personally aware of girls from the last 2 years that havent been offered a place on allocations day due to non-qualification.
If they haven't qualified then they can't be offered a place on allocations day - that is not an oversubscription issue.

Waiting lists and appeals are separate things. If a place becomes free, the next on the WL gets offered it. A successful appeal will force a school to accept a child whether or not they are on the list, even if accepting will take the school over PAN (which WL won't do). If the appeals panel accepts that the prejudice to the school in taking an additional child doesn't outweigh the prejudice to the appellant of not getting a place, the school is forced to take the child.
stroudydad

Post by stroudydad »

mcfly wrote:
stroudydad wrote:Could the low numbers over PAN be accounted for by the fact that Ribston is usually the seen as the least desirable of the girls schools, so although some appeals to enter may be won, it is likely that some holding places at allocation day may win appeals elsewhere and move, thus keeping the status quo?? Just a theory...

stroudydad wrote:
cambridge61 wrote:if someone who had a place a place at Ribston, won an place elsewhere, wouldn't that place be offered to the next on the waiting list.....as opposed to an someone who appeals.....?
In my experience Ribston is not under-subscribed at the start of the academic year in September due to waiting list movements. I am personally aware of girls from the last 2 years that havent been offered a place on allocations day due to non-qualification (cant comment about appeals). Im sorry but its comments like yours that perpetuate your own view of this school as being "usually the seen as the least desirable of the girls schools". Please try to refrain (if you can).

Historically this is the case.. I'm not talking about just 2 years or even 3... I make no judgment about any of the girls schools other than the one my DD attends as I have no experience of them, however my statement is, like it or not, true.. sorry if that offends.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

cambridge61 wrote:thanks for that - yes ribston was the school in question - it seems they are very strict with numbers, making appealing against over subscription tricky
A school may be 'strict with numbers', but if there are appellants with a very good case, then the school would have to have done a bit better than 'We want to keep our class size to x' (assuming that x is somewhere below, say 32) to convince the Independent Appeals Panel that their case should prevail. Once outside the confines of Infant Class Size legislation, just being at PAN, in itself, is not sufficient to prove prejudice to the school from admitting another pupil.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
cambridge61

Post by cambridge61 »

ToadMum wrote:
cambridge61 wrote:thanks for that - yes ribston was the school in question - it seems they are very strict with numbers, making appealing against over subscription tricky
A school may be 'strict with numbers', but if there are appellants with a very good case, then the school would have to have done a bit better than 'We want to keep our class size to x' (assuming that x is somewhere below, say 32) to convince the Independent Appeals Panel that their case should prevail. Once outside the confines of Infant Class Size legislation, just being at PAN, in itself, is not sufficient to prove prejudice to the school from admitting another pupil.
thats encouraging...fingers crossed
cazien

Post by cazien »

mcfly wrote:

stroudydad wrote:
Whether it is desirable school or not - for the past 5 years at least they have filled PAN on allocations day.
Watermelon8

Post by Watermelon8 »

Agree with cazien. & like I’ve said many times about knowing people who’ve picked Crypt over the other schools, I also know some who’ve loved Ribston & picked it over the others. The undercurrent of these 2 schs offering an inferior standard of education is very irritating (& boring!) to those who actively choose them for their dc.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now