Money for Grammars

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Amber

Re: Money for Grammars

Post by Amber »

I will do the grown up thing here and not respond.
tiffinboys

Post by tiffinboys »

I can comment, but never mind.
Skip

Post by Skip »

Like it or not grammars are popular with many. Perhaps if everyone valued all types of schools rather than feeling the need to have some types of schools as ‘better’ then having a choice of school types wouldn’t matter. I have a DC at a grammar as that suited them. Had they been really practically minded I’d be aiming for the new Glos college where there’s lots of practical subjects being taught (can’t remember what it’s called). Having said that middle classes do dominate the grammar places in my experience and for a number of reasons. In the same way they adjust for age there may be some algorithm that can adjust for other factors such as socio / economic background? Or simply go to the primaries in more deprived areas and ask which kids are the best suited to grammar and with a bit of common sense select those that suit. Of course you would need the state sector to co operate with this!
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

You may find this interesting re what primaries can and cannot do

https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/ ... to_kcc_sch" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

yoyo123 wrote:You may find this interesting re what primaries can and cannot do

https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/ ... to_kcc_sch" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Possibly with particular reference to this bit?

7) What reprimands/punishments may be imposed upon KCC teachers/headteachers if any such restrictions are broken? 
We follow up any allegation that inappropriate preparation is taking place in a school, and will remind schools that they are allowed to administer 
the tests provided they abide by our instructions. In particular, if we receive firm evidence that schools have retained test materials which they are required to return to us after testing and are making use of them to coach pupils, we reserve the right to disregard the test scores for pupils from that school, using an alternative method of assessment, and not to allow the school to administer tests on their premises in future.

Deliberate breach of the County Council’s instructions by one of its own employees would be regarded as a disciplinary matter.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
Skip

Post by Skip »

Seems like a double disadvantage to me if state primaries stopped from teaching / supporting those who want to go to grammar but can’t afford tutors etc etc. Afterall grammars are also state schools. I’ll never understand this. Afterall I know many who will say their kids are at the local comp as if they aren’t selective but fail to mention the cost of the local houses which also effectively disadvantages many.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

In Bucks any partner [non LA] school (inclduing Private schools) that wants to be allowed to have their children sit the test in their own school have to sign up to this sort of thing too.
daddyof3

Post by daddyof3 »

It is so funny that the people who seem to oppose grammar schools the most have decided to send their own children to grammar schools :D . Their children should benefit from a grammar school education but others shouldn't- just like the politicians mentioned above.

They claim grammar schools create 'an unfair system'- an unfair system that they are supporting.

If you oppose grammar schools so much why are your children benefiting from them?????
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

In case you haven't noticed Bucks is fully selective - there are no comprehensive schools to choose. If you want your child to have access to triple science and some other GCSEs you have no choice; the Secondary Moderns don't offer a full range of GCSEs.
daddyof3

Post by daddyof3 »

Then there is no point criticising something you have chosen to be a part of. If I felt so strongly against grammar schools I would not choose to send my children to a grammar school- this is hypocrisy :!: