Go to navigation
It is currently Mon Jun 18, 2018 3:59 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Re: Money for Grammars
PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 4:43 pm 

boris wrote:
Please can somebody just explain how the local education standards are dragged down by grammar schools? Reading through the posts on this thread I see I am not the only one who can't understand this opinion/statistic?

I'm sorry to all those who may be tired of the subject because it has appeared before on other threads - but you are not obliged to respond - in the same way as you can turn a tv over to avoid a repeat or not read a magazine rerunning a feature that has been done before. There will be new members who might be interested and who like me haven't trawled through all the historic posts to see if they're repeating anything....

https://comprehensivefuture.org.uk/comp ... n-mislead/
This is from a group which is not impartial, but does use and quote much impartial research. The key reference I think for what you are interested in here is from Jesson (2006).
Quote:
Jesson looked at selective and non-selective local authorities and found that where schools in an area are organised on selective lines (as in 15 of the 152 local authorities) the overall impact is to depress the educational performance of these communities as a whole.

This goes beyond the inequity arguments which people like me usually cite against selective education. There is more recent research demonstrating the same thing but I can't instantly recall who did it or quote it here, sorry.

Post subject: Re: Money for Grammars
PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 4:56 pm 

Has any research Organization done the research about bright children leaving primaries and their achievements on leaving the 6th form in non-selective school vs selective school?

Ofstead Chiefs have on more than one occasion recently have called comprehensive schools as having failed bright children. Why would they make such suggestion?

Other than Bucks and Kent, which areas are organised on selective lines? Is just having one or two grammars in wide catchment area makes it selective area, eg Kingston? Local intake in Tiffin is too low due to wide catchment and remaining Kingston schools are as comprehensive as to be found anywhere.

And what is the performance statistics of rest of the 137 totally non-selective areas? Are bright children there achieving their full potential?