Ribston PAN.

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
jearund

Re: Ribston PAN.

Post by jearund »

My friend's daughter's appeal was unsuccessful and the reason given was that they could not admit over PAN as they already had issues such as overcrowding in the corridors etc. In the light of this proposed increase to PAN I'd be interested to hear how many appeals were successful. In theory they should be able to take another 30.
Amber

Post by Amber »

jearund wrote:My friend's daughter's appeal was unsuccessful and the reason given was that they could not admit over PAN as they already had issues such as overcrowding in the corridors etc. In the light of this proposed increase to PAN I'd be interested to hear how many appeals were successful. In theory they should be able to take another 30.
Interesting. Perhaps they only want really tiny girls who won't take up too much space in those crowded corridors. Or maybe the increase in PAN is going to help fund a corridor widening scheme.
cazien

Post by cazien »

NancyB wrote:That's interesting - it comes close on this years appeals finishing last Friday.

I wonder if it counts as the 'significant new information' which would allow parents to request a second appeal (assuming that not all 39 appeals were allowed)? The school would have already considered the implications of raising the PAN and agreed that they could cope before putting it out to consultation.
No - Ribston propose to increase PAN year-on-year until 2024. They cannot cope at the moment so new buildings will probably be on the way.
stroudydad

Post by stroudydad »

cazien wrote:
NancyB wrote:That's interesting - it comes close on this years appeals finishing last Friday.

I wonder if it counts as the 'significant new information' which would allow parents to request a second appeal (assuming that not all 39 appeals were allowed)? The school would have already considered the implications of raising the PAN and agreed that they could cope before putting it out to consultation.
No - Ribston propose to increase PAN year-on-year until 2024. They cannot cope at the moment so new buildings will probably be on the way.
No - Cazien, sorry to be blunt but that is not what the document says.... it clearly states that PAN will increase in 2020 from 120 to 150.. and that the school would grow year on year until 2024 - which is simply that the 2020 cohort would then be in year 11 and so all years have 150...
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Once the consultation is done and agreed this could be used. An appeal panel decided to use this sort of information to allow appeals in June/July for Year 7 when a Bucks school decided to raise its PAN by 6 from the following academic year ie a few months later. Obviously no new building was doe there and so it felt the school had room.
capers123

Post by capers123 »

When some of the other schools said that they were considering increasing their PAN to 150 for the following years intake, the Appeals panels decided "well, if they can take 150 next year, then they can take 150 this year".

What Ribston mean by "propose to increase PAN year-on-year until 2024" is they will increase for the first Y7, but not the Y8. Officially the PAN for previous years can not increase - the PAN at the time a Y7 intake starts goes with them until Y11.

Of course, an Acadamy (so all the Glos grammars) can choose to admit over their PAN at any point if it is not detrimental - hence some schools will 'top up' to 160 (or 128) when their PAN is 150 or 120. They can only do this outside the main run of admissions - so say on September 2nd.
Capers
cazien

Post by cazien »

stroudydad wrote:
cazien wrote:

No - Cazien, sorry to be blunt but that is not what the document says.... it clearly states that PAN will increase in 2020 from 120 to 150.. and that the school would grow year on year until 2024 - which is simply that the 2020 cohort would then be in year 11 and so all years have 150...
That is what I have said in my posts :!: They will not start the increase in PAN until 2020, with the intention of all 5 years being PAN by 2024, which will enable plenty of time (2-6 years) for new buildings to be built to cope with the increase.

They are correct stating the corridors are too narrow to cope with an increase in 2018 (as I am constantly being told by my DD :roll: ) so, to answer NancyB's question, this is not 'significant new information' to allow a second appeal.
stroudydad

Post by stroudydad »

cazien wrote:
Sorry this is what you said... which is wrong - PAN will increase once in 2020, the whole school size will increase until 2024..
stroudydad

Post by stroudydad »

I wonder how they are going to improve the situation in corridors in under 2years?? Build a new school? Make all the classrooms smaller?

Ed. - 2 years not 1
cazien

Post by cazien »

stroudydad wrote:
cazien wrote:
Sorry this is what you said... which is wrong - PAN will increase once in 2020, the whole school size will increase until 2024..
If you would like to read my original post which started this topic, it clearly states PAN increase (if approved) will take place in 2020.

Jearund and NancyB both queried whether going over PAN in 2018 would be an option or reasons for a second appeal. I stated No, Ribston will not go over PAN (this year or next). The PAN increase will start in 2020 and it will take them year-on-year to 2024 before 150 will be in all year groups, except 6th form.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now