Glos,Bris,SGlos CAF allowing different maximums!What to do??

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
oopsIamclueless

Glos,Bris,SGlos CAF allowing different maximums!What to do??

Post by oopsIamclueless »

Hi everyone, will be grateful for some advice,
I live in South Glos and considering Glos grammar schools for my daughter next for Sept 2018. I've just learnt that on Glos Common Application qualifying girls can put up to 5 grammar school choices whereas in South Glos Common Application there is a maximum allowance of 3 places. I gather parents are asked to put in their application via their own local authority website regardless of which county's school they are applying. If my daughter qualifies, it looks like we will have to apply via the S. Glos system, which will effectively rob us of 3 grammar school preferences (I am guessing we might have to put 2 grammar and 1 local comprehensive preference).
Is there anyone who knows of a way to make sure this inequality and difference in application systems between the two counties does not disadvantage one's child?
Will be grateful for any direction.
stroudydad

Re: Glos,Bris,SGlos CAF allowing different maximums!What to

Post by stroudydad »

oopsIamclueless wrote:Hi everyone, will be grateful for some advice,
I live in South Glos and considering Glos grammar schools for my daughter next for Sept 2018. I've just learnt that on Glos Common Application qualifying girls can put up to 5 grammar school choices whereas in South Glos Common Application there is a maximum allowance of 3 places. I gather parents are asked to put in their application via their own local authority website regardless of which county's school they are applying. If my daughter qualifies, it looks like we will have to apply via the S. Glos system, which will effectively rob us of 3 grammar school preferences (I am guessing we might have to put 2 grammar and 1 local comprehensive preference).
Is there anyone who knows of a way to make sure this inequality and difference in application systems between the two counties does not disadvantage one's child?
You make it sound like you must choose grammars..
Amber

Post by Amber »

It is most unlikely that anyone sensible in Gloucestershire is going to put down 5 grammar schools on their CAF, regardless of where they live. The hierarchy of grammars means that once you have test rankings, you effectively know, at least down to 2, which are realistic choices, and as you will have looked at all the grammars which accept girls, you will have a preference by then as well. Geography will play a part also. I don't think personally that this is as much of a disadvantage as you make it sound, as once your daughter has got her test result, you will know what you want to aim for and will have a good idea of whether you are likely to get it. And as you say, you then need to use one choice for a very safe local school just in case. 3 seems like a better number than 5 to me in lots of ways.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

oopsIamclueless wrote:Hi everyone, will be grateful for some advice,
Offering three preferences complies with the Admissions Code.

If you are concerned that only allowing the legal minimum number of preferences disadvantages children in your area, you could ask the LEA for information on the percentage of applicants each year who do not gain a place at their first / first or second / any expressed preference?
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now