Not long to go.

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
steppemum

Re: Not long to go.

Post by steppemum »

When ds did it (old style test, he is in year 11 now) we were queuing outside the test centre and one mother had a pack of vocab cards and was drilling her son with them. I had been making bad jokes with ds and talking about where we were going to lunch afterwards.
Still think my approach was better!
pish

Post by pish »

steppemum wrote:When ds did it (old style test, he is in year 11 now) we were queuing outside the test centre and one mother had a pack of vocab cards and was drilling her son with them. I had been making bad jokes with ds and talking about where we were going to lunch afterwards.

Re- Still think my approach was better
I totally agree - Children need to be relaxed.
Birdbridge

Post by Birdbridge »

I agree - nerves can spoil everything. I was only joking about making my DD do a practice test on the way to the centre!

Plan to do an hour of light revision after she gets home from school, early dinner and hot shower to relax her and hopefully fast asleep by 7:30! (wishful thinking!)

Can’t beleibe the day is almost here after a long year of preparing.

GOOD LUCK TO EVERYONE TOMORROW!
surfer

Post by surfer »

My DS seems quite relaxed about tomorrow, so I'm hoping he'll take it all in his stride in the morning. I'm not convinced we've done enough - I've DIYed it at home and am now wondering whether I should have got him a tutor.

I was feeling ok about it, what will be, will be etc. But we went to STRS open evening last night and all loved it (had been before but this just cemented the feeling), so now I'm hoping he'll do well enough to have the chance to go there.

I will be glad when it's over but then I suppose the waiting for results day will begin!
Debims

Post by Debims »

Good luck to everyone, parents and kids - hope tomorrow is uneventful and make sure you enjoy the afternoon!
CKMum

Post by CKMum »

steppemum wrote:When ds did it (old style test, he is in year 11 now) we were queuing outside the test centre and one mother had a pack of vocab cards and was drilling her son with them. I had been making bad jokes with ds and talking about where we were going to lunch afterwards.
Absolutely the right approach! I do really sympathise with the children who are pressured by parents up to the end. The only other advise we were given before the big day, was for our DS#2 to run around the garden a couple of times before we left home to get his circulation going and blood to his brain! Seemed to do the trick. He was way more laid back than my first 2DCs, but it personally helped him - and not too onerous for us or him!!

All the very best to you and your DCs - may they get into the right school for them to thrive. Will be thinking of them all tomorrow...
steppemum

Post by steppemum »

We deliberately park and walk to the school - 15 minutes brisk up hill walk. Gets their circulation going, wakes them up and avoids the traffic!

I envy the idea of 7:30 bed - dd hasn't been to sleep before 10 all week, and I think it is nerves. We did hot chocolate and cuddles etc and 'early' night last night and she managed 9. Hoping we can do the same tonight.
starcrazy

Post by starcrazy »

Well, mine seems quite chilled out so far so here’s hoping that continues tomorrow. We’ve tried to plan a few things between test day and the results arriving so he doesn’t dwell on it too much.
Octsmum

Post by Octsmum »

Last year we went to the very small fair that turns up on our village green for an hour in the evening after tea - it did us all good as took our minds off the following day.

Good luck to you all for tomorrow. Will be thinking about you! Give yourselves enough time to get there & park. Beware other parents & children as it can effect your DC. Enjoy the weekend afterwards....

Octsmum xx
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now